Leaking inner toilet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mia55770, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Mia55770

Mia55770 New Member

I have a leaking toilet inside. It appears the flapper is in good condition but the toilet water is rising quickly because the white tube inside is leaking. Could anyone help me diagnose the problem?

image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I am not sure about your description of the symptom.

The white tube should feed into the small hole on top of the overflow tube. The purpose of the white tube is to direct some water down the overflow tube to refill the bowl after a flush.

MASTERPLUMB777 and Mia55770 like this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

MASTERPLUMB777 and Mia55770 like this.
  4. Mia55770

Mia55770 New Member

The white tube is constantly dripping. Is that normal, I hear the dripping even after I flush and lots of time goes by.

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    If the fill valve is not bad, it should stop once the water reaches the set level.
    The fill tube is attached to the overflow tube, but not pushed down far. Too far down and it can siphon water out of the tank.
    If the fill valve doesn't shut off, you may need to replace it.

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  6. Mia55770

Mia55770 New Member

Thank you Terry for your help! The full tube has never been attached to the overflow tube. And the end of the fill tube hasn’t ever leaked, but now it appears it does. What do you think is the cause? And how would you suggest fixing it?

7. Chucky_ott

Chucky_ott Member

When you flush the toilet, the float (1) will lower. The float is attached to the valve (2). When the float drops, the valve opens and water will fill the tank and some water also goes out the fill tube (3), which is supposed to be attached to the overflow tube (4). When the water level reaches a certain height (where it says "water" on the overflow tube), the valve closes and water stops flowing into the tank and out of the tube. If it still flows out of the tube, then the valve likely needs to be replaced.

Can you confirm that the water level in the tank stops at the "water" mark on the overflow tube but still flows out of the fill tube?

Attached Files:

8. Mia55770

Mia55770 New Member

Yes, I can confirm that the water stops at the water mark. However droplets of water still continue leaking from fill tube.

9. Chucky_ott

Chucky_ott Member

I don't know the brand of fill valve, but if it was my toilet, first thing I would try is replacing the fill valve seal (pic of a Fluidmaster fill valve seal below)

Next would be replacing the entire valve assembly.

Attached Files:

10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Unless the water continues to rise above where it is supposed to (it eventually could reach the top of the overflow and go down into the bowl), then don't worry about it for now.

Some valve are designed with replaceable seals, some are not. If it is designed for a seal to be replaced, it's generally quicker, cheaper, and easier to just do that. Otherwise, you will need to replace the entire valve assembly. Note, when you do that, it's a good idea to change the hose between the wall shutoff and the valve in the tank. If that is rigid, you can reuse it.

You DO want to place the end of the hose into the bracket above the overflow tube. Without that directing some water down the overflow into the bowl, the bowl itself won't be filled to the design level and that can sometimes have a very negative effect on the energy of the flush.

One way to test if the bowl is full is to first note where it is, then, slowly add water into the bowl. At some point, it will stop rising. If that new water height is higher AND stays there after a delay, that's where it is designed to be, and putting the hose where it's supposed to be should fix it.

11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

12. Mia55770

Mia55770 New Member

Thanks everyone for the help, very appreciated. I will look into all your suggests and let you know if all goes well.

13. JK.Mark

JK.Mark New Member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020