Laundry room DWV advice

Users who are viewing this thread

antamy

Reaction score
Hi - I am remodeling a laundry room. Below is an unfinished basement, where I'd like to run the 2" drain pipe within a 10" deep joist cavity. Laundry room will have washer, utility sink and floor drain. Is the attached layout acceptable? Can I use one vent pipe for everything, or does the sink need its own vent? Should I put the washer p-trap as low as possible and run the sink into the vertical pipe instead?

My challenge will be the floor drain which will be a a tight squeeze.

Not shown is the path of the drain pipe - facing this wall, it would basically go in a straight line away from the wall, so somehow I would need to fit a long turn elbow and a sanitary tee to the floor drain in that joist cavity. I have a 14' run before I would do another long turn elbow and the bottom of the pipe has to be no more than 10" from the floor at that point, in order to clear a steel beam.

Advice appreciated!

upload_2021-4-12_12-44-34.png

Last edited:

antamy

Reaction score
ok, thanks. I have no idea how I can physically get a vent to the floor drain!

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The floor drain does not require a vent as long as their is a vent somewhere on the drain it is connected to on the same floor. All floor drains are considered a combination waste and vent.

antamy

Reaction score
The floor drain does not require a vent as long as their is a vent somewhere on the drain it is connected to on the same floor. All floor drains are considered a combination waste and vent.
That's what I would have thought. The current configuration has the washer and floor drain separately vented and they also connect separately into a big 4" cast iron pipe that runs around the perimeter of my basement. I'm trying to figure out a way to get rid of that and snug up the PVC (which is now permitted in my area) to the joist so that I can finish the basement!

antamy

Reaction score
The photo above is very useful, however my city has an amendment to the State code which says "(D) Concealed horizontal waste arms. Concealed horizontal waste arms are prohibited." That would seem to imply that no pipe can run horizontally and I have to drain the washer and sink separately. Is this a common thing?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The photo above is very useful, however my city has an amendment to the State code which says "(D) Concealed horizontal waste arms. Concealed horizontal waste arms are prohibited." That would seem to imply that no pipe can run horizontally and I have to drain the washer and sink separately. Is this a common thing?

You need to find out what the definition of "waste arm" is in your code, they might be referring to the trap arm which some fixtures conceal to hide the plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks