Kohler Leaks & Seeps-Newest 1.28 GPF DISASTER!

Users who are viewing this thread

CORVAIRWILD

Reaction score
I installed one of these in a rental a couple of years ago. It has recently been a real costly problem! My water bill went up from 2-3,000 gallons pm to 10,000! Cost was almost $100! So much for water saving . The apartment has been unoccupied for months, and I have been updating it on and off. Last week I went over to install some flooring and noticed the toilet was running. I hadn't been over there in a few weeks... I immediately closed the fill valve, and discovered the thin rubber ring on the flapper-tower-flush cylinder had flipped over. I took off the tower, this is the new style "flapper" Kohler uses instead of the familiar rubber disc that pivots-hinges on the fill tube. I removed the rubber seal, inspected it, and came to the conclusion that it's too thin and flimsy to maintain its correct orientation, thus stopping water from flowing when the tower cylinder flapper drops.

Problem number two: when I flush the toilet, water leaks between the reservoir tank and the bowl. I tryd to tighten the reservoir to bowl bolts, but that made zero difference. I took the reservoir off, and there is new style of attachment. The bolts do not pass
thru the reservoir, Kohler uses a special painted steel brackets that is secured under the giant (flapper) flush cylinder nut. The Spud-foam washer seems too thin for the job, and the stops built into the separation attachment plate restricts tightening the tank to bowl bolts. This tightening doesn't affect the compression of the Spud washer once the stops come into contact. I could either grind off these spacer tabs, but 1st I will call Kohler and ask if they make a thicker spud washer. I could also shim the Spud washer to push it against the bowl. I'm sure both of these problems have occurred elsewhere.
I've used many of the previous generation Kohler 1.6 toilets, Wellworth series, I never ever had an issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-24-08-02-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-24-08-02-26.png
    145 KB · Views: 229
  • Screenshot_2017-02-24-08-00-35.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-24-08-00-35.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_2017-02-24-07-58-28.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-24-07-58-28.png
    151.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Fluidmaster Tech

Reaction score
I actually really like those towers. They usually work very good. Its a good design since the water has a better path to the bowl when flushed. As far as wimpy you do understand every company on the planet tries to save cost. Its not a fluidmaster valve but I still like it and would keep it in my toilet. But if you dont like something change it. We are talking small cost doing it yourself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks