Kohler disappoints!

Users who are viewing this thread

happydogs

Reaction score
Kohler having had a reputation for quality, proved a disappointment. I had ordered a Cimmeron elongated ADA from Home Depot online, which of course had to be shipped. I thought I was receiving a HET tank. No my mistake, it was a regular 1.6 GPF tank. I also ordered from Kohler online a quiet close toilet seat, yet another disappointment. Poor quality workmanship and the caps that cover the seat bolts were broken. The cimmeron was louder than expected. In measuring the water consumption I found the markings in this water conservation toilet off the mark. 1.6 gallons actually used 2.7, 1.4 was 2 gallons. I measured in 1.6 gallons and the toilet would not operate properly. Come on Kohler, if advertising 1.6, stand by your claim! I also found I could not tighten the tank bolts to a point where the tank would not wobble. This cimmeron used a bracket the tank sits in, as they advertise no bolts through the tank. The ADA proved to high for short people like ourselves. Another mistake on our part. One use of the unit and it smelled like an outhouse. Is this because there is so little water in the bowel? It also did streak. All these things have been mentioned by others in these posts. I unfortunately did not locate Love plumbing web site until going online to see if others had Cimmeron trouble. For the money I expected Kohler quality and workmanship. I am also surprized that the back of these newer toilet bowels are not finished to conseal the outline of the trap. Maybe Kohler sells seconds to Home Depot. Rather than return it I gave it away to a tall friend. I could not bring myself to ask for any payment from him as I fear he too will be disappointed. Back went my old Mansfield 3.5GPF toilet. Yes it uses 3.5 gpf, but it never smells, always flushes what is deposited, plus has quality fit and finish. The outside surfaces are smooth with no old fashioned outline of the trap. I gave the Kohler seat away as well. This has been a lesson others have apparently learned as well. Kohler has gone to the crapper!:(

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most new toilets show the trapway. It's not a brand thing, it's just where things are going.

As far as outhouse smell on the Cimarron, I hadn't heard of that before, I never noticed it when I used one.

When you measured water, did you drain into a tub and measure it?
I don't think the inside measurements mean much.
Without it being on a test stand that drains into a tub, it's only a guess.

I don't care that much for Kohler, but I think it's fair to say that it's not as bad as all that.
The rinse at the back of the bowl is what I noticed, or lack of.

CarlH

Reaction score
Which Kohler seat did you get? Is it bad quality or shipping damage? I just got the Kohler Cachet soft close and it seems OK as far as quality. It is not in active duty yet as it is waiting for me to install it once I get new flooring in.

I think you made a mistake in measuring the water usage. The tank does not fully empty on a flush unless you sit there and hold the handle. The flap for the flsh valve will close before the tank empties. Usually something like halfor less of the tank empties when the flap closes.

I cannot comment on the other problems since I have zero experience with Kohler other than the seat I just received.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks