Kitchen sink shutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I’m replacing my old Delta faucet with a new Delta faucet which now comes with plastic supply lines already attached.
I will be connecting to old polybutylene pipe.
I know I need to put a pex to poly fitting on the old polybutylene.
Is there a good 1/4 turn shutoff valve with a pex fitting on one side?
Or should I put a pex to threaded male adapter in to make future changes easier?
What brand shotoff do you recommend?
As alway, thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any copper compression shutoff valve will work on pex IF you use the proper insert to hold the pipe round and give the compression ring something to compress against. Some valves come with that insert in the box, but they are available separately.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a good 1/4 turn shutoff valve with a pex fitting on one side?
Yes. Straight? 1/2" Pex Crimp x 3/8" OD Compression chrome Stop Valve. Dahl 511-PX3-31
511-px3-31-2.jpg

Right angle? Dahl 611-PX3-31.
611-px3-31-3.jpg

Made to go on a wall? Something else?

Rsmith99

Reaction score
How about a picture of what is there now.
The faucet supply lines will fit on 3/8" compression.
Right now it’s full of winded bottles, and every other cleaner ever sold. I replaced the shutoff valves about 15 years ago, but I don’t trust them. I wouldn’t dare turn one of them. I’ll get a picture.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Yes. Straight? 1/2" Pex Crimp x 3/8" OD Compression chrome Stop Valve. Dahl 511-PX3-31
511-px3-31-2.jpg

Right angle? Dahl 611-PX3-31.
611-px3-31-3.jpg

Made to go on a wall? Something else?
Through the floor. Best long term solution? I’m turning 70. Don’t want to do this again!

Reach4

Reaction score
So probably straight. Do you have a PB to PEX transition in mind, such as Nibco PX02283A? I just looked that up, and I don't know the tool. I see the Sharkbite PB transitions transition to threaded. So the PB comes thru the floor, and you will then transition on the way up.

I don't have the recipe for you. It seems there is more than one way to do this. You can get good stop valves with all kinds of inputs. I think I would try to secure the transition area somehow to minimize stresses.

PEX is nice to work with.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
So probably straight. Do you have a PB to PEX transition in mind, such as Nibco PX02283A? I just looked that up, and I don't know the tool. I see the Sharkbite PB transitions transition to threaded. So the PB comes thru the floor, and you will then transition on the way up.

I don't have the recipe for you. It seems there is more than one way to do this. You can get good stop valves with all kinds of inputs. I think I would try to secure the transition area somehow to minimize stresses.

PEX is nice to work with.
Yes, I have a few of the Nebco fittings. They seem to work well. I agree with some sort of hanger to minimize movement around the fitting.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, I have a few of the Nebco fittings. They seem to work well. I agree with some sort of hanger to minimize movement around the fitting.
Cool. A photo of the area thru the floor and showing the distance to the wall may bring about a suggestion for clamping the pipes.

Is this city water or well water?

Some people put in a backwashing carbon tank to remove chlorine or chloromine and more. Since the PB problems are reported related to chlorine levels, such a system would have another plus. Then a softener follows next in line.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Using a valve with a pex end means buying either a crimp tool, or an expansion tool, depending on the type of pex you have (expansion only works with type-A).

Using a standard compression valve with the SS insert only requires wrenches you probably already own.

Either method will work fine.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Using a valve with a pex end means buying either a crimp tool, or an expansion tool, depending on the type of pex you have (expansion only works with type-A).

Using a standard compression valve with the SS insert only requires wrenches you probably already own.

Either method will work fine.
I have a pex ring compressor. I was always told the pex insert for compression valves was too small to use in polybutylene pipe. I have slipped a ring inside the poly pipe. It was very loose. 30 years ago, they did make larger inserts for poly. But as far as I know, they are no longer available.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Here are the supply lines.

CEBE0BC3-AE40-4CFE-AE17-975F55486A31.jpeg
DC57F30F-572B-4C52-9A21-0AD7E42016B8.jpeg

I have a pex ring compressor. I was always told the pex insert for compression valves was too small to use in polybutylene pipe. I have slipped a ring inside the poly pipe. It was very loose. 30 years ago, they did make larger inserts for poly. But as far as I know, they are no longer available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I thought your supply pipe was PEX. On the flexible plastic piping, you need an internal stiffener if you want to use a compression fitting and it must be the right size for the pipe involved. Crimp works.

I'm not a fan of PEX as the supply. I prefer to use a copper termination that can be well anchored, then a valve on that. In that case, a compression one works, but you could also solder if you did that prior to making the conversion to plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I thought your supply pipe was PEX. On the flexible plastic piping, you need an internal stiffener if you want to use a compression fitting and it must be the right size for the pipe involved. Crimp works.

I'm not a fan of PEX as the supply. I prefer to use a copper termination that can be well anchored, then a valve on that. In that case, a compression one works, but you could also solder if you did that prior to making the conversion to plastic.
Sorry, I thought I made it clear. Old polybutylene to whatever Deltas plastic is. Question is, what’s the best way? Looking for a long term, if it was your house solution. Replumbing the house is not a valid answer.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Sharkbite makes a transition coupling, but it wouldn't be the neatest solution. You could stick a short stub of copper or pex on the other side and use a shutoff on that. The stiffener on the opposite side of the poly can be easily removed if you're going with copper but should be left in place if you're going with pex. https://www.sharkbite.com/products/polybutylene-transition-coupling

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Cool. A photo of the area thru the floor and showing the distance to the wall may bring about a suggestion for clamping the pipes.

Some people put in a backwashing carbon tank to remove chlorine or chloromine and more. Since the PB problems are reported related to chlorine levels, such a system would have another plus. Then a softener follows next in line.
See attached photos.

Rsmith99

Reaction score

Attachments

• A40AEF09-765E-4BF7-B365-120B07F7D0D6.jpeg
    A40AEF09-765E-4BF7-B365-120B07F7D0D6.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 6494087D-D046-4CA0-8008-69B82F0E56D7.jpeg
    6494087D-D046-4CA0-8008-69B82F0E56D7.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 203
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks