Kentucky 2020 Plumbing Code Washer Drain Piping

Users who are viewing this thread

Herb C

Reaction score
Hello to all, first time poster, multi-time website visitor. I've never had to post anything because this website pretty much has all the answers and diagrams I need at the time. But this one has me slightly perplexed. I live in the state of Kentucky and I am remodeling a house that I will potentially live in when done. I will eventually pull a permit like I did with the framing and replumb the house. I ran into a issue with the Kentucky Plumbing code I hope someone can explain to me please or offer a diagram of what they're asking. Its for a washer machine piping job that I will include into my replumbing. Before I post what the 2020 Kentucky Plumbing Code wants for a washer drain, I just have these insights or questions, In all the websites and diagrams I have seen in regards to piping the drain for a washer, they all encompass somewhat of the same design depending on the state and municipality. I am remodeling an existing building. Can someone please tell me why Kentucky is asking for a entirely different piping configuration for the washer drain? Am I missing something? Why is the code drastically different between residential new building and existing? (Thank you everyone for your help on this please)
Here is the code from the Kentucky 2020 Plumbing Code (815KAR20:180 Special Connections) Section 2:

Section 2. Washing Machines, Automatic, Residential. (1) New Buildings.
(a) An automatic washing machine installed in a new building shall:
1. Have a two (2) inch trap; and
2. Be vented in accordance with 815 KAR 20:080.
(b) The trap shall be installed twelve (12) inches above the floor with a two (2) inch stand pipe
extended to at least two (2) inches above the flood level rim of the washing machine.
(2) Existing Buildings.
(a) An automatic washing machine installed in an existing building shall be connected to the house
sewer by a four (4) inch P-trap. The trap shall:
1. Be placed on the outside of the building on the opposite side of the wall of the washing
machine;
2. Have a vented cover extending three (3) inches above the grade line; and
3. Have a four (4) inch by two (2) inch tee installed in the inlet side of the trap with a two
(2) inch waste pipe extending into the building through the floor to the height of the
washing machine.
(b) All waste piping shall conform with 815 KAR 20:080.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello to all, first time poster, multi-time website visitor. I've never had to post anything because this website pretty much has all the answers and diagrams I need at the time. But this one has me slightly perplexed. I live in the state of Kentucky and I am remodeling a house that I will potentially live in when done. I will eventually pull a permit like I did with the framing and replumb the house. I ran into a issue with the Kentucky Plumbing code I hope someone can explain to me please or offer a diagram of what they're asking. Its for a washer machine piping job that I will include into my replumbing. Before I post what the 2020 Kentucky Plumbing Code wants for a washer drain, I just have these insights or questions, In all the websites and diagrams I have seen in regards to piping the drain for a washer, they all encompass somewhat of the same design depending on the state and municipality. I am remodeling an existing building. Can someone please tell me why Kentucky is asking for a entirely different piping configuration for the washer drain? Am I missing something? Why is the code drastically different between residential new building and existing? (Thank you everyone for your help on this please)
Here is the code from the Kentucky 2020 Plumbing Code (815KAR20:180 Special Connections) Section 2:

Section 2. Washing Machines, Automatic, Residential. (1) New Buildings.
(a) An automatic washing machine installed in a new building shall:
1. Have a two (2) inch trap; and
2. Be vented in accordance with 815 KAR 20:080.
(b) The trap shall be installed twelve (12) inches above the floor with a two (2) inch stand pipe
extended to at least two (2) inches above the flood level rim of the washing machine.
(2) Existing Buildings.
(a) An automatic washing machine installed in an existing building shall be connected to the house
sewer by a four (4) inch P-trap. The trap shall:
1. Be placed on the outside of the building on the opposite side of the wall of the washing
machine;
2. Have a vented cover extending three (3) inches above the grade line; and
3. Have a four (4) inch by two (2) inch tee installed in the inlet side of the trap with a two
(2) inch waste pipe extending into the building through the floor to the height of the
washing machine.
(b) All waste piping shall conform with 815 KAR 20:080.
Sounds bizarre to me. The only thing I can think of is they are describing how to add washing machine plumbing outside of the house in the event of an add on with no interior construction or remodeling.

Sometimes there are state funded projects that get commissioned through grants or whatever. Maybe they are describing how they want a washing machine added in the case of purely adding one with little or no costs to the homeowner such as drywall, framing, or structural rework.

I knew a guy who brought houses up to code for the state of Iowa at no cost to the homeowner. They would just come in and run new piping outside of the walls and give people new code compliant plumbing as a state funded benefit for poor or elderly people.

Herb C

Reaction score
Sounds bizarre to me. The only thing I can think of is they are describing how to add washing machine plumbing outside of the house in the event of an add on with no interior construction or remodeling.

Sometimes there are state funded projects that get commissioned through grants or whatever. Maybe they are describing how they want a washing machine added in the case of purely adding one with little or no costs to the homeowner such as drywall, framing, or structural rework.

I knew a guy who brought houses up to code for the state of Iowa at no cost to the homeowner. They would just come in and run new piping outside of the walls and give people new code compliant plumbing as a state funded benefit for poor or elderly people.
Thanks for the response John. I'm glad you agree. This is bizarre. I read it at least 15 times.... Asking myself,... all that for a washer drain?? Something is missing or am I missing or mis-reading something.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never heard of such jibberish , absurd.. here is an example why would the trap be required 12 inches above the floor? 11 inches fail inspection 12 1/2 inches too high ? like a 12 year old wrote it. we usually have minimums and maximums but not exact measurements . I'd be afraid to do anything overthere

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've always plumbed the p-trap for the washer above the floor, at about 12"
In Kentucky it would have to be exactly 12 by what was posted unlike our code which has a tolerance between 6 and 18 inches . but yea I normally shoot for around 12 as well . I just have a pet peeve for exact required measurements

Last edited by a moderator:

Herb C

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have responded to my post so far. I'm somewhat glad that I'm not the only person that thought this was completely outlandish and unnecessary. I plan to makes some calls to the plumbing inspector in this area to get a better clarification if there is one. Btw I read it 5 more times and it gets more confusing every time I read it. o_O

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have responded to my post so far. I'm somewhat glad that I'm not the only person that thought this was completely outlandish and unnecessary. I plan to makes some calls to the plumbing inspector in this area to get a better clarification if there is one. Btw I read it 5 more times and it gets more confusing every time I read it. o_O
good luck with that ! maybe they'll be helpful, I wouldn't put down their code But ask to clarify your questions

Herb C

Reaction score
**UPDATE** I got a hold of the plumbing inspection office who performs plumbing inspections in our city. I explained to him the situation and he said trap needs to be 2 inches, and 12 inches from the floor with a 2 inch stand pipe extended at least 2 inches above flood rim. I reiterated the code book explanation. He cut me off saying, " I wouldn't even worry about that." I figured he has had this conversation before. I asked if he was certain and he said again,..... I wouldn't worry about that. Thanks to all who have responded. I'm sure I loss some sleep last night thinking about it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back so that sounds good! 2 inch washing machine drain piping , trap and standpipe pretty standard.
I actually like having the stand pipe or box high and visible but it seems the trend here is hide them . I like to see my plumbing connections the hoses and drain in case of leaks no hiding below the machine.

Reach4

Reaction score
**UPDATE** I got a hold of the plumbing inspection office who performs plumbing inspections in our city. I explained to him the situation and he said trap needs to be 2 inches, and 12 inches from the floor with a 2 inch stand pipe extended at least 2 inches above flood rim. I reiterated the code book explanation. He cut me off saying, " I wouldn't even worry about that." I figured he has had this conversation before. I asked if he was certain and he said again,..... I wouldn't worry about that. Thanks to all who have responded. I'm sure I loss some sleep last night thinking about it.
So what he said not to worry about was the old buildings section.

And he blessed using the new work method. It still does not address the 12 inch number, which could be an implied minimum or maximum. I suspect it is an implied minimum. I understand that such loose terms should not be used in a code. If you assume that you want 12 inches within some tolerance, then you would wonder where you measure to from the floor. Trap weir, bottom of the U, top of the trap arm???

I don't know why there would be such a minimum or maximum. UPC prescribes a minimum and maximum that does give some leeway. IPC does not prescribe those.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks