Jet pump only reaches 30psi & doesn't stop running...

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by woody37, Dec 4, 2019.

1. woody37

woody37 New Member

Hi Terry--I live on Guam where real expertise can be very limited. I have a 3/4hp shallow well jet pump on a 30 gal pressure tank that I use to boost our low (20psi) city water pressure. The other day when my neighbor used his water blaster, the 1" (or is it 1 1/4") npt pvc fitting actually blew off the pump intake port--not sure how long the pump ran after this event--maybe 10 minutes--but when I discovered it, I immediately secured power and and was able to reattach and tighten all fittings, put a new check valve, and put new plastic tubing to the 30/50 pressure switch. Now the pump only reaches 30psi, and will not stop running. I lowered the cut in/cut off settings (a coupe of clockwise turns on the range and cut off pressure switch screws), with the same result. Everything was working fine prior to this incident. What do you think I need to do next? Thanks, Terry---sure appreciate the assist

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Hi Gregory, hopefully a pump expert can help with this. Where I work, it's mainly metered water. There are people on the forums though that are good at this.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

5. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Run a wire through the jet nozzle just under the pump intake pipe like Reach is suggesting. However, when a pump gets hot like that the impeller maybe melted and will never produce the pressure needed again. Wire the jet nozzle, make sure you do not have a suction leak, and if it still won't make pressure take a look at the impeller.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    If the intake pipe is PVC, the heat can create a suction leak.

valveman likes this.