Jet pump only reaches 30psi & doesn't stop running...

Users who are viewing this thread

woody37

Reaction score
Hi Terry--I live on Guam where real expertise can be very limited. I have a 3/4hp shallow well jet pump on a 30 gal pressure tank that I use to boost our low (20psi) city water pressure. The other day when my neighbor used his water blaster, the 1" (or is it 1 1/4") npt pvc fitting actually blew off the pump intake port--not sure how long the pump ran after this event--maybe 10 minutes--but when I discovered it, I immediately secured power and and was able to reattach and tighten all fittings, put a new check valve, and put new plastic tubing to the 30/50 pressure switch. Now the pump only reaches 30psi, and will not stop running. I lowered the cut in/cut off settings (a coupe of clockwise turns on the range and cut off pressure switch screws), with the same result. Everything was working fine prior to this incident. What do you think I need to do next? Thanks, Terry---sure appreciate the assist

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Gregory, hopefully a pump expert can help with this. Where I work, it's mainly metered water. There are people on the forums though that are good at this.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Run a wire through the jet nozzle just under the pump intake pipe like Reach is suggesting. However, when a pump gets hot like that the impeller maybe melted and will never produce the pressure needed again. Wire the jet nozzle, make sure you do not have a suction leak, and if it still won't make pressure take a look at the impeller.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks