Users who are viewing this thread

Jesse Okiror

First-time homeowner
Reaction score
I had an island loop installed with my kitchen reno. I opened the vent side cleanout and water poured out. Then there was standing water up to level of the cleanout. So the vent side of the loop isn’t draining. The drain side is draining though. This shouldn’t be possible if the loop was done right.

The plumber came to look at it but I wasn’t home. He said he left his testing plug in there when he installed the loop and that he took it out so it should be fine. Sure enough the water was gone when I got home. But when I poured in a bunch of water in the vent cleanout to check, the vent pipe filled up again and the water is just sitting in there.

What could be problem?

Attachments

• D1F5C97D-417D-4A81-B22F-CE1AD91A02D3.jpeg
    D1F5C97D-417D-4A81-B22F-CE1AD91A02D3.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 226

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like the installation is on a slab, do you have any pictures of the DWV before the slab was poured?

Cheers, Wayne

Jesse Okiror

First-time homeowner
Reaction score

Attachments

• 5344DC71-FCB8-48A6-A90D-836979B9C36D.jpeg
    5344DC71-FCB8-48A6-A90D-836979B9C36D.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 3F3C4B61-DC87-430D-BE2F-20F24B17819F.jpeg
    3F3C4B61-DC87-430D-BE2F-20F24B17819F.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 194

Jesse Okiror

First-time homeowner
Reaction score
There was a wall there originally. We took out the well and the plumber cut the slab back to another wall and ran the vent up that wall

Attachments

• C5490CE4-67DD-4CCA-BFD1-DCCBEC79A3C5.jpeg
    C5490CE4-67DD-4CCA-BFD1-DCCBEC79A3C5.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 94A6300F-75A6-4A73-BB89-69BBCD439AF0.jpeg
    94A6300F-75A6-4A73-BB89-69BBCD439AF0.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 226

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I think the vent in the wall in your last picture is supposed to have a cleanout for this situation. It seems like either you have a clog in the island vent, or the plumber didn't connect the low point of the island vent to the drain side as is required.

You may need to stick a camera down the loop vent cleanout to see what fitting is at the bottom and if there's a clog.

My troubleshooting experience is limited, so others may have more to say.

Cheers, Wayne

Jesse Okiror

First-time homeowner
Reaction score
Actually, the plumber just comforted that he did this setup. Starting another thread asking how bad it is

Attachments

• 721AAE06-A013-4803-AAC1-7CEBA43E5753.jpeg
    721AAE06-A013-4803-AAC1-7CEBA43E5753.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 215

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I agree with what Wayne is suggesting. That if the vent isn't connected to the top of the drain and instead is a loop as I've drawn on the left of the pic, then its just going to collect and trap condensate water and never drain out.
Island Venting.png

Jesse Okiror

First-time homeowner
Reaction score
thanks! I was worried about this and you are correct that the vent doesn’t connect to the drain

So I think the vent in the wall in your last picture is supposed to have a cleanout for this situation. It seems like either you have a clog in the island vent, or the plumber didn't connect the low point of the island vent to the drain side as is required.

You may need to stick a camera down the loop vent cleanout to see what fitting is at the bottom and if there's a clog.

My troubleshooting experience is limited, so others may have more to say.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow..
The plumber came to look at it but I wasn’t home. He said he left his testing plug in there when he installed the loop and that he took it out so it should be fine. Sure enough the water was gone when I got home. But when I poured in a bunch of water in the vent cleanout to check, the vent pipe filled up again and the water is just sitting in there.

In my opinion... Your plumber vacuumed the water out of the vent pipe to cover his tracks. No testing equipment would have been behind the cleanout.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow..

In my opinion... Your plumber vacuumed the water out of the vent pipe to cover his tracks. No testing equipment would have been behind the cleanout.
I saw the other thread first.. Man feel bad for owner and I don't know about that darn plumber. Hopefully he gets this on track . Jessie that's horrible work a gross mistake and tuttles has a good fix suggested .
My hope is the plumber is honestly ignorant and pulls his head out of his rearend and learns how to plumb. I too think he might have tried to cover tracks and that's bad too !

Jesse Okiror

First-time homeowner
Reaction score
I just wanted to check things before we put the stone in the island. I’d done some research on island loops and the vent was on my checklist. Planned to pour some water in and watch it drain but water was already in there.

What made you open the cleanout in the first place? Most people only do that when their drain isn't working.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just wanted to check things before we put the stone in the island. I’d done some research on island loops and the vent was on my checklist. Planned to pour some water in and watch it drain but water was already in there.
Id get it fixed, dont want to have a stink in the house from improper vent

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score

OK.. So the water was in there from testing, not from condensate / usage. But still, there is nowhere for that water to go and your plumber was blowing sewer gasses up your skirt. I'd have him show you personally what he did when he "pulled his testing device out" that got the water to go away.

I'd get that vent draining now before it gets really gross.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd install an AAV and connect the "vent" to the drain to reduce the standing water that will inevitably build up in that cesspool of a "vent"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks