Is my water treatment plumbing backwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

diyMCO

Reaction score
After living with odd water quality issues for a few years, I just noticed that my 2 year old filter and softener are potentially plumbed backwards. I believe I have Fleck 5600 controller on top of both black tanks. If I believe the arrows on the bypass valves, the feed from the holding tank is connected to the "outflow" of the bypass valve on the carbon filter; carbon "in" is connected to softener "out", and softener "in" is connected to the house. See picture with carbon filter on the right, softener on the left.

Water Treatment Plumbing.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
In your photo, inputs are on the left, and outputs on the right. If that was hooked up by a water treatment person, they should correct it free. If you told the plumber how to hook it up, then you pay. However, a softener works better hooked up backwards than you would think.

The PVC should be painted to protect from UV, and the controllers should have a cover to protect from UV.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Typical installation is GAC first then Softener. Arrows on the bypass indicate flow direction. Plumbed in backwards will work but you run the risk of a failed top screen which could fill the house with media. Most top screens are designed for shipping and diffusion, not to hold back media. No meter on the softener? Those are rare, not really advised. When you upgrade in the future change the valve to a metered type.

Bannerman

Reaction score
As your location is indicated as New York, with NY winter temperatures, how are these located outside?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks