What level of panic is appropriate? Softener valves installed backwards (Nelsen)

Users who are viewing this thread

upstatewater

Reaction score
We had a water softener installed May 2023. Since then my finances blonde hair has turned green. The original company to install it never returned my call so we had a water company out to do some testing. They informed us the valves were connected backwards. Water coming in to the house hooked up to the outflow valve, and the inflow valve was connected to the pipes carrying water throughout the house. They have no clue if this could cause the green hair, but they did say we should have it looked at to make sure no damage was done.

I know close to nothing about plumbing and don't know whether to be concerned or not. The pipes have been switched and are now on the correct valves but the water didn't test soft after the switch. Plumber set it to regenerate and hope for the best, but where do I go from here? What do I need to have checked?

I haven't found beads in the water, but toilet valves have failed twice in the last few months. I'm unsure if it's related. Any ideas?

Nelsen signature series (model # in photo)

Attachments

• 20240318_075208.jpg
    20240318_075208.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 23

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im unsure its related but if beads got in the piping pretty likely it could foul something like that up if it was the shut off valves under toilet it would reduce flow the fill valves inside the tank sometimes get plugged as well. you arent clear whether this has gone nearly a year without fixing or if the outfit that did the work fixed toilets free of charge, I might give them the bill or even compromise on it if the valves were really old , but it wouldnt suprise me to see beads plug it up

upstatewater

Reaction score
Im unsure its related but if beads got in the piping pretty likely it could foul something like that up if it was the shut off valves under toilet it would reduce flow the fill valves inside the tank sometimes get plugged as well. you arent clear whether this has gone nearly a year without fixing or if the outfit that did the work fixed toilets free of charge, I might give them the bill or even compromise on it if the valves were really old , but it wouldnt suprise me to see beads plug it up
Thanks for sharing your insight. As a woman it sometimes feels like people working on the house assume I know nothing and take advantage, so I'm trying to learn more in order to stick up for myself when the original installer comes to the house on Thursday to take a look at the softener.

The issue had gone unnoticed for 10 months, but the pipes were switched to the correct inflow/outflow valves a few days ago by a plumber from a different company. We haven't seen any beads at this point, which is why I'm unsure if I should be concerned or not. It's unclear if the toilet valves are related to this issue, but I read it's common with this so thought there could be correlation there. I replaced the toilet fill valves myself.

Some posts say there can be hidden issues with washers and water heaters, I've seen others say the inflow/outflow valves should be replaced and resin level checked, others say to drain the hot water tank and blow out lines. Is it unreasonable to ask them to blow out the water lines if I don't see beads? Do I ask them to replace the softener valves and check resin? Do I demand the whole system be replaced or is that unnecessary? I'm trying to avoid being a Karen while also making sure the original company is held responsible and I get what I paid for.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not too big of a deal. It was worth getting the pipes criss-crossed from the wrong way, but it was still backwashing and regenerating OK.

This did not contribute to the toilet valve failures.

The deal is that during normal operation, the water was going thru bottom to top, so at high rates, there could have been channels that passed extra hardness.

It is good that you figured it out, because most people would never notice.

upstatewater

Reaction score
Not too big of a deal. It was worth getting the pipes criss-crossed from the wrong way, but it was still backwashing and regenerating OK.

This did not contribute to the toilet valve failures.

The deal is that during normal operation, the water was going thru bottom to top, so at high rates, there could have been channels that passed extra hardness.

It is good that you figured it out, because most people would never notice.
Thank you for putting my mind at ease, and I appreciate the explanation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks