Is it possible to recycle toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
It appears to me that toilets never wear out--since all the internal parts and handles can simply be replaced. I am getting new toilets due to style changes, water-saving, etc., but what to do with the toilets (Toto) being removed?
Is there any way to give them away? Do they all end up in landfill?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Habitat for humanity perhaps. Normally I toss them, the ones I get from customers. It's not always obvious if they are good or not, especially if they were replaced with something new. If I believe them to still be good, sometimes to friends and family.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a place in my town that salvages old things. They have some crazy bathroom fixtures. Some of them I want to buy and install in my house just be odd and exotic.

Yes they never go bad. But some were bad to begin with.
It appears to me that toilets never wear out--since all the internal parts and handles can simply be replaced. I am getting new toilets due to style changes, water-saving, etc., but what to do with the toilets (Toto) being removed?
Is there any way to give them away? Do they all end up in landfill?

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
There is a place in my town that salvages old things. They have some crazy bathroom fixtures. Some of them I want to buy and install in my house just be odd and exotic.

Yes they never go bad. But some were bad to begin with.
Thanks for your reply. I'm pleased to say that the round toilets I'm swapping out came from Terry Love's toilet recommended list--so not bad. But now I'm getting "chair height" elongated toilets.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In california I thought they get crushed up and used in paving new roads. I think they called it GlassCrete or something like that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks