Iron destroying pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

lipper

Reaction score
Hi

My well pumps have been only lasting 2.5-4 years.
Well is from about 1990
Moved here in 2013. Pump was from 2011-2012. I didn't shock well at all before first one failed . November 2015 I was getting no water and it turned out the pump was caked in iron and the pipe was full of it. Replaced pump and pipe

I Shocked the well in every year after that. However in May 2018 I was getting reduced flow and pump couldn't deliver enough pressure it seemed.
Called well guy and similar thing....however this time much less iron around pump and the pipe was not bad at all. Replaced pump and back to normal. Well guy just said there is not much to do.

I kept this pump...the motor seems fine...the impeller head does not turn that smooth. I was told by Franklin (pump manuf.) some people have had luck putting clr in the pump end overnight and then flushing iron out....I noticed that I could put it in on the output of the pump and it went through slowly. I have not tested it to see if its working again...I would need to rig something up.
Pump is Schaefer 3200 1/2 230V 3 wire

Pics of original pump that died with caked iron....newer one that failed did not look nearly as bad

Anyway...anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind taking pump out every year to clean pump head if needed but I'm not sure what is best.
Shocking the well didn't seem to solve the problem.
I was told by one guy that might make it worse with the well casing

I've asked a well digging company and they suggested redevelopment of the well or high pressure...ive also read about some companies that clean wells with an "air shock" device...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
One shock a year won't do it. Bacteria grows in the pores of the PVC and other material. Shocking just kills the surface layer. The bacteria in the pores starts growing again as soon as the chlorine is gone. The best luck I have had is using a pellet chlorinator. They drop a pellet in the well ever so often when the pump is running.

lipper

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

What do you have installed after to remove the iron?
The company I buy my water filters and stuff from said I don't have iron bacteria but rather just ferric iron but from my pictures it seems I do. I will get another analysis

I'm not a huge fan of having chlorine in my house water constantly to be honest. Have you tested your house water for chlorine?

Thanks

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't like chlorine either. But when you need it, you need it. If the chlorine is working on stuff it will get used up, and if you don't add too much there won't be much of a residual left to taste. A little residual is not too bad though, and I think charcoal filters will take the chlorine back out. Don't think it will help much with ferric iron, but I try to stay out of water treatment. Might ask in the water softener forum as they deal with treatment more.

lipper

Reaction score
I don't like chlorine either. But when you need it, you need it. If the chlorine is working on stuff it will get used up, and if you don't add too much there won't be much of a residual left to taste. A little residual is not too bad though, and I think charcoal filters will take the chlorine back out. Don't think it will help much with ferric iron, but I try to stay out of water treatment. Might ask in the water softener forum as they deal with treatment more.
Thanks.
From the pic does that look like iron bacteria to you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks