Not sure what this means - 23 year old pump 64% shorts

Users who are viewing this thread

PeteS

Reaction score
A company came in to service our softener system and tested the expansion tank, controller, etc. He told me the well pump was showing 64% shorts and I am not sure what that means to the health of my pump. When I hear shorts I think bad circuit and thrown breakers but wells are new to me. What I do know is that it's a goulds submersible 5gs07412 3/4hp set at 365 ft. installed in 2001. Should I be worried that the pump is going to crap out and be pro active and replace it? Thanks for any help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have seen pumps run for years with more than a 64% short. But I have also seen them not run with less short than that. It could also be the wire is shorted, not the motor. Cycling on and off is what causes pumps to fail and they make pumps to survive and average of 7 years of cycling on and off. Nothing you can do but run it until it quits and get a new pump. But using a Cycle Stop Valve to eliminate the on/off cycling will add life to any pump, as long as the motor bearings are still good when the CSV is installed.

PeteS

Reaction score
Thank you for the explaination, the illustration/ video is great. I also am shocked that something as simple and servicable as a CSV isn't the standard for all installations, but then the pump manufacturers would be unhappy.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thank you for the explaination, the illustration/ video is great. I also am shocked that something as simple and servicable as a CSV isn't the standard for all installations, but then the pump manufacturers would be unhappy.
I always thought "If you build a better mousetrap, people will beat a path to your door". I found out if you make a mousetrap that would make mice extinct, the industry will do everything they can to put you out of business as there is a lot of money in mousetraps. Same with pumps. The Cycle Stop Valve is a "disruptive" product. It makes pumps last longer, use smaller pressure tanks, and does away with the need for any VFD or variable speed pump. I don't blame pump manufacturers for "blacklisting" the Cycle Stop Valve over 30 years ago. There are hundreds of different pump manufacturers today. If they had adopted a CSV for every pump back in 1993 when they first came out, pumps would be lasting so long there might only be a couple pump manufacturers still in business. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks