Insulated right hand trip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nld

Reaction score
Hi
I need a right hand trip, insulated tank, ada height elongated drake 1.6 but cannot locate one. Any suggestions or alternatives?
Thank you

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be a CST744SLDR, but they don't make one. They do make an SLD (1.6, ADA, Insulated) and an SLR (1.6,ADA,Right Hand Trip Lever). But not an SLDR, at least not now... In other words, the insulated tank doesn't come in a right-hand model, only a left-hand one.

Why did you want the insulated tank? With a Drake, unless it's VERY high volume, it won't sweat very often because the flush only drains part of the tank, and the water inside doesn't get really cold on warm days.

Reactions: Nld

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While there are situations where tank insulation still is useful, are you sure you need it? Old toilets could use as many as 5-7 gallons on a flush and emptied the tank...today's toilets typically only flush 1.6g or less, and do not empty the tank. As a result, unless the toilet is flushed very frequently, because the water coming in gets mixed with the room temperature water, and not all of it is dumped, it is less likely that the tank will sweat.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I think a lot of that has to do with your locale. My toilets are 1.6 GPF and less, and they still sweat year round. Does anyone have experience with the aftermarket insulation kits?

Reach4

Reaction score
Delivering warm water to the tank is an alternative. Reducing humidity would be too expensive to just reduce toilet dripping, but it would increase the comfort of people and reduce mold. A tray to catch the drips is an alternative to water dripping from the tank to the floor.

Nld

Reaction score
Delivering warm water to the tank is an alternative. Reducing humidity would be too expensive to just reduce toilet dripping, but it would increase the comfort of people and reduce mold. A tray to catch the drips is an alternative to water dripping from the tank to the floor.
Th

Nld

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I have to make a decision asap because I've been out of my house since Dec 18th due to mold & water damage causes by pipe leaking in wall out of the upstairs vanity- first contractor never showed up after the holidays as he said he would and the second was wonderful but passed away unexpectedly in the middle of the job- and I finally have people to complete the work. The plumber is recommending insulated tank because we had mold all over the back of the old tank and there was a terrible problem with condensation on the tank in the summer- the humidity is very high due to it being an upstairs almost attic type bathroom in the dormered second floor of the cape style house with no central air. I typically close the bathroom door to leave air window air conditioners on for my elderly dog which worsens it. And the well is 150 feet deep. All I can find is an insulated drake with the left-hand trip but that only leaves 4 inches between the tank itself and the wall to flush. The plumber is telling me it should be okay even though it's off code by an inch and a quarter (13.75 center to wall instead of 15 in). But I'm a little concerned and wondering if I should buy a Mansfield thats available with the handle on the front which I'd rather not do, go with left hand drake and deal with space or one other alternative - I just found an eco-Drake online but I am hesitant to order online (read reviews of damage or model being wrong), and also concerned about the performance of the eco-Drake 1.28 E-max because I read Terry's thread which said any G-max should work well. Any advice greatly appreciated about which way to go I love the Drake and would like to just go with that but I am a little worried about the three-quarter inch thickness of the handle and The 4 inches between the tank in the wall. I don't want to be cursing myself for my decision every time. Urgently could use help because I have to place an order today in order to have it by end of next week. Thank you and sorry this is so long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nld

Reaction score
While there are situations where tank insulation still is useful, are you sure you need it? Old toilets could use as many as 5-7 gallons on a flush and emptied the tank...today's toilets typically only flush 1.6g or less, and do not empty the tank. As a result, unless the toilet is flushed very frequently, because the water coming in gets mixed with the room temperature water, and not all of it is dumped, it is less likely that the tank will sweat.

Nld

Reaction score
Yes I am pretty sure we need it because there was mold behind the old tank that was really a mess as well as puddles on the floor and this is basically an attic type bathroom with the heat rising to upstairs it's terribly humid in the summer - the plumber strongly advising it. It's just that I only have 4 inches between the tank in the waffle for left-hand flush. Plumber thinks it should be okay but I'm just a worried and don't want to be regretting my decision every time I flush the toilet

Nld

Reaction score
Yeah, it would be a CST744SLDR, but they don't make one. They do make an SLD (1.6, ADA, Insulated) and an SLR (1.6,ADA,Right Hand Trip Lever). But not an SLDR, at least not now... In other words, the insulated tank doesn't come in a right-hand model, only a left-hand one.

Why did you want the insulated tank? With a Drake, unless it's VERY high volume, it won't sweat very often because the flush only drains part of the tank, and the water inside doesn't get really cold on warm days.

Nld

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I posted a long explanation to the thread as you will see. my plumbers advising it because of mold all over the back of the toilet, high humidity upstairs and 150 foot well. problem is 4 inches between wall and toilet tank in left. Plumber thinks that should be okay that but I'm worried. I think get eco-Drake is available online but concerned about how soon it will arrive and reviews about receiving damage or wrong model. I can't afford to be out of my house beyond next week. Does 4 in seem enough space to flush handle or will it be a pain the #%*?

Reach4

Reaction score
Reaching the flush handle will not be a problem. It is possible that replacing the handle could be a problem, but it is unlikely that will ever be needed.

Are you sure that you don't have a water leak to explain your humidity and mold? Condensation on the tank is not adding moisture to the bathroom. It is just moving it to the tank temporarily. You could keep the lid shut to minimize evaporation.

I don't see how running an air conditioner for your dog hurts the bathroom humidity, as long as the air conditioner exhausts outside. Maybe that is why you keep the bathroom door closed. Is there a bathroom window that you can keep open while not letting rain in? The fact that you have a well rather than city water does not affect this.

Nld

Reaction score
Reaching the flush handle will not be a problem. It is possible that replacing the handle could be a problem, but it is unlikely that will ever be needed.

Are you sure that you don't have a water leak to explain your humidity and mold? Condensation on the tank is not adding moisture to the bathroom. It is just moving it to the tank temporarily. You could keep the lid shut to minimize evaporation.

I don't see how running an air conditioner for your dog hurts the bathroom humidity, as long as the air conditioner exhausts outside. Maybe that is why you keep the bathroom door closed. Is there a bathroom window that you can keep open while not letting rain in? The fact that you have a well rather than city water does not affect this.

Nld

Reaction score
That's a point about repairing the handle - with the luck I've been having that could happen. The only right-hand wash inside a tank I seem to be able to find is the eco-Drake online but I don't know how comfortable that would be and I'm leery of ordering the toilet online.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is the thread that made me aware of the issue of replacing the trip lever. Note that this one only has 2 inches to the side wall, and operating the lever was not reported as an issue. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ating-problems-ideas-to-fix-welcome-pl.54570/

Note the last post in the thread points out that there would be the option to add an aftermarket touchless flush kit. That kit holds the lever longer than you would normally, which uses a little more water for each flush. But it is good to have that as an option if you were to need it.

Nld

Reaction score
Have you heard anything about insulated eco drake ? All things considered would u go for the drake with the left trip lever knowing 4 inches to wall or Eco drake if available ? I have to order at store today for it to be in in time. I am waiting to hear if they can even get the eco. But it seems my plumber may be right - 4 in not an issue really??

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Eco-Drake with the E-Max is fine. Most of the water savings in that toilet is based on the refill quantity.

Four inches will be fine. If you need to replace the trip lever, you can always pull the tank off. It's not going to happen often.

The Drake will have more distance between back wall and tank than most toilets, so you're going to have more room for air to circulate.

If you want the insulated tank, then just get the one with the left-hand trip lever. If you decide it isn't as important, then get the one with the right-hand trip lever. Either way, the Drake is a great toilet.

Nld

Reaction score
The Eco-Drake with the E-Max is fine. Most of the water savings in that toilet is based on the refill quantity.

Four inches will be fine. If you need to replace the trip lever, you can always pull the tank off. It's not going to happen often.

The Drake will have more distance between back wall and tank than most toilets, so you're going to have more room for air to circulate.

If you want the insulated tank, then just get the one with the left-hand trip lever. If you decide it isn't as important, then get the one with the right-hand trip lever. Either way, the Drake is a great toilet.

Nld

Reaction score

Nld

Reaction score
Thank u so much.
Did you mean both eco drake and drake would have more room behind tank, or just drake?
I am still waiting hear whether they can get the eco drake with right hand flush and insulated tank. I know they have an insulated drake with left flush in warehouse.
If consensus seems to be that the 4 inch distance wall to tank (which would be 3.25 inches to flush lever if it is 3/4 thick handle as my friend measured hers) would leave plenty of room to flush handle comfortably, then I would go for Drake which I was able to see and flush in store. Any thoughts otherwise? I don't want to miss anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks