GFI Monitor

Users who are viewing this thread

CommanderDave

Reaction score
I have an open loop geothermal system that just discharges water into a pond on my property. This line has frozen up in the past so last summer I dug it up and insulated it, and also installed a heat cable inside the last 25ft of pipe where it goes to daylight. I ran the cable to an above ground post and connected to a blank face 20 amp GFI outlet/box. The line is serviced by a 15 amp 240 volt breaker. The problem is the location is about a hundred yards from the house, and if the GFI trips there's a chance the discharge water line could freeze. With blizzards and deep snow conditions I can't check every day to see if it has tripped. Is there some way that I can monitor this remotely, keeping in mind that the location would be about a hundred yards from my home and Wi-Fi. Or is there a different configuration you can recommend? Thanks

Fitter30

Reaction score
Is there a extra wire pulled to the gfi? Could power a relay load side contacts powered by line side send a signal back to the breaker panel where some kind of internet program and hardware could call you. Im not a computer guy. Could also use a amperage switch that could be set for the heat trace at the breaker panel same program as above. The only wiring change id make is at the amp switch making loops through amp switch what that does it fools the switch with a higher amp reading. 10 loops .5 is now 5
I have an open loop geothermal system that just discharges water into a pond on my property. This line has frozen up in the past so last summer I dug it up and insulated it, and also installed a heat cable inside the last 25ft of pipe where it goes to daylight. I ran the cable to an above ground post and connected to a blank face 20 amp GFI outlet/box. The line is serviced by a 15 amp 240 volt breaker. The problem is the location is about a hundred yards from the house, and if the GFI trips there's a chance the discharge water line could freeze. With blizzards and deep snow conditions I can't check every day to see if it has tripped. Is there some way that I can monitor this remotely, keeping in mind that the location would be about a hundred yards from my home and Wi-Fi. Or is there a different configuration you can recommend? Thanks

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
installed a heat cable inside the last 25ft of pipe where it goes to daylight. I ran the cable to an above ground post and connected to a blank face 20 amp GFI outlet/box. The line is serviced by a 15 amp 240 volt breaker.
Do you really have a blank face 240V GFCI? I wasn't aware those exist.

Heat cable is a good option for GFPE which has a 30ma trip threshold. So maybe you could replace the breaker with a GFPE breaker and skip the GFCI. I haven't checked if the NEC would require GFCI for your application.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks