Toto GMAX flush valve moaning Type A - Clean screen?

Users who are viewing this thread

TSPORT

Reaction score
Hi all. I have the Type A GMAX flush/fill valve in my Toto Drake. In the past month or so it has started to make a moaning noise in the last few seconds of the fill cycle. No other performance issues noted. Reviewing older posts on the subject, I see that there is a screen in the inlet end. Understanding that no other repairs are possible to this valve and replacement with the Type B valve or Korky equivalent would be in order, I have a question.
Would a partially clogged screen be a reason for the moaning noise at the valve? I'm happy to check/clean it but if the noise is due to an issue up top in the valve itself I won't waste the time and will just get a new valve.
(yes, I know it's a quick job to check but if the connection leaks when I put the hose back on I will have to go get another hose ASAP. Would rather make one trip or no trip).
Thanks all for your knowledge in advance!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
A good first round repair on the ballcock is to get a new, matching valve...then after turning off the water, remove all the parts and replace, even the float...leaving the ballcock body in place.
Strangely, just a few days ago a colleague did just what I described but the valve still moaned, so the ballcock parts went back into the new body and was installed and that worked...go figure!

TSPORT

Reaction score
Breplum, thanks for the reply but the GMAX valve does not have a ball cock. Here's a picture of the assy.:

gmax.JPG

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
My comment was about the Hunter/Korky/also Toto branded fill valve that looks like this:
528gt-3.jpg

Those cheap green valves are junk in my opinion. I concluded that over a handful of months getting defective units right out of the box on new WC installs. Turned me off the Drake actually.
Not repairable at all.
This is better and is the valve I was talking about https://www.supplyhouse.com/Korky-528GT-Genuine-TOTO-Universal-Fill-Valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks