Installing a walk-in tub from Costco

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here we look at installing a walk in tub for a customer of mine. What they had was a standard five foot tub which was going to come out.

rex-tub-20.jpg

This is the new tub we installed.

lindquist_01.jpg

We started with this. Standard steel tub and lav.

lindquist_02.jpg

Since the new tub was shorter, we framed in the wall at the back. The kit came with a clip on fiberglass panel for that, but really that would have made the job nearly impossible in my oppinon.

lindquist_03.jpg

Already to make the turn into the bathoom, we had to remove the door and open the wall up to move the tub into the room. A 36" hallway does not allow you to make the turn.

lindquist_05.jpg

It comes with leveling legs to set in place. The jetted pump is nice too.

lindquist_06.jpg

The tub on the jet end.

rex-tub-22.jpg

All very cool when done.
This took much more time and effort than a standard tub install. The first tub he had son site was a demo that wasn't intended to be installed. I filled it with water in the garage before we committed to installing it. Water poured out the bottom. I glad I checked first. I suggested he buy a new one with a warranty. He found one at Costco and that is the one in the pictures here.

I needed to reroute the water supply and at the same time a created an access for the tub valve connections. I'm glad we had room on the other side of the wall for that.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The few I have connected came with washing machine hoses for the water supplies and a drain hose the went into an open "P" trap in the floor. Strictly designed as a "portable " unit. To build them in they had to improvise to seal it to the wall.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The few I have connected came with washing machine hoses for the water supplies and a drain hose the went into an open "P" trap in the floor. Strictly designed as a "portable " unit. To build them in they had to improvise to seal it to the wall.

This thing really drains fast. It's like a power drain. Everything tight and together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks