How to tell if I have a hot water return line

Users who are viewing this thread

OZ324

Reaction score
Recently bought a house that was built in 02. During inspection there was a water line going to the hot water tank's drain, but no pump. We asked for the tank to be replaced before closing but the new one did not have the same line going to the drain. Is it possible this was a return line? Takes forever for hot water to get to some of the taps in the house. How can I tell if I do have a return line?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may have had a return line. Is it a crawl or on slab?
If there is a 1/2" returning from a far point, it may have been. I like to use a pump with an aquastat.

OZ324

Reaction score
Crawlspace. The 3/4 pipe on the right, which loops back in to the hot water supply is connected to a 1/2. It's coming from the side of the house that has the furthest faucet. If this is the return, can I remove the loop add a pump and reconnect to the drain?

Thanks Terry.

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 2,385
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you only need to connect to the drain valve if you are trying to have this be convection-powered. If you are pumping, I think you could just have it pump into the cold line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would consider connecting to the cold side.
Normally we would add a check valve to the incoming cold supply, with expansion tank.
The check valve prevents warm water from mixing back into the cold. The expansion tank because of the check valve.
A pump wth a $25 aquastat prevents the pump from running 24/7

I see that you already have an expansion tank :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF that is a return line, it should NOT connect to the hot water pipe. If you use a pump it can connect to the drain or cold water pipe. It ALWAYS needs a check valve ,on that line not the incoming cold water pipe, regardless of whether there is a pump or not. And you might want to support that expansion somehow other than by the water piping., unless you can mount it directly on top of that tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks