Hot Water Heater Install

Users who are viewing this thread

dfreysinger

Reaction score
I recently purchase a double wide mobile home with a gas hot water heater. I was a maintenance electrician for a couple of decades, so I am replacing it with an electric hot water heater. It is in a closet that is accessed from the outside of the home.

I am replacing the original poly b with pex throughout the home. I am using copper manifolds located in closets with no connectors in the floor or walls. I know this is overkill, but I have particle board subfloors in much of the home.

I plan to run the hot and cold lines of the water heater up the wall of a closet on the heated side of an insulated wall that divides the water heater closet from the inside closet. My home is at 10,000 ft in Colorado, so avoiding frozen water lines is a priority. My current hot water heater does not have an expansion tank, so I am planning to add one. Is there a maximum distance from the hot water heater? I would like to install it on the heated side of the wall. The current system has heat tape on all of the lines inside the water heater closet. I am trying to keep heat tape to a minimum to avoid high electric bills.

Fitter30

Reaction score
That's ok to mount it inside the trailer. Match the air pressure in the ex tank with water pressure. Can get a gauge with a hose bib thread on line or at a hardware store

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
I would also suggest a remote thermometer for the area of concern. I worried for years about freezing pipes running heat tape all winter ............... only to find the area of concern never dropped below 40 degrees until it was below zero outside.
Remote thermometer.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks