How much PTFE tape should I use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was on a job yesterday where someone before me had tried to put a flare fitting into a 1/2" gas shutoff. The threads are totally different, noticable by the gas leaking from it.
Replacing it with a pipe nipple from the truck did it. Pipe dope on the threads.
And I removed all the tape on the flare fitting on the flex.

Wille

Reaction score
Actually I think part of the leaking problems I've had was because of the crap LD valves that have "out-of-spec" threads (right?)...
I've got one LD valve that has one socket so bad that... the fitting skips a few threads, just goes past them when inserting, so then it hits threads when there are only a few threads to go before it bottoms in... and the fitting is so loose all the way to the bottom... the other LD valve isnt much better... no wonder they kept leaking.
So finally I got a Mueller valve, screwed it in without even adding more tape, and no leaks at all!
I thought LD (Taiwan) was good but apparently they suck, the Mueller (China) is better.
Maybe 3 wraps, i been reading along and so far nobody hhas mentioned the critical points to threaded pipe, measuring correctly. Most threaded joints I've done are on steam lines. We always measure and check when we fit it its rector seal or eqivelent and 3 wraps on top theb pulll it tight. Most os the ss. We do is only pipe dope because the tape gets in the process and containates. (Food processing plants) blackpipe ,most is chinnese made, three wraps of a good tape. The biggest problem is measuring correctly, and pulling tight. You never wannt to bottom out. If the threads are pulled or missing do it over, until you get it done properly. Alot of discussion over tape. 20 wraps wrong it will always be wrong. Learning a trade takes patients. I don't know anyone that doesn't make mistakes. Being a pro you learn what not to do along with goood habits. The righway t is always better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks