Nick in threads, would you use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello, wanted to get the group advice on this brass Flashshield+ 1/2" fitting. There's two small nicks I just noticed in the next to last two male threads. I'll be attaching it to a black iron tee 1/2" .
Are these nicks anything to worry about? I usually use 4/5 wraps of Blue monster tape and a bit of Blue Monster PTFE dope to connect. I know it might be hard to tell from the pic but they are very small and seems like the tape/dope would seal?

This is for a propane line that leads to an outside grill.

Thanks for your advice!
RH in Austin

PXL_20220714_235210822~2.jpg

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Not an issue, should be perfectly fine.
I always wonder about pex fittings with minor nicks or scrapes on the barbs. If I buy individual/separately packaged fittings from a big box store they are perfect. When I go to a supply house, fittings are stored bins. It is almost impossible to find a fitting that is in "Perfect" condition. Given pros do not have the time I do to look through the bins and find the best looking fittings, there must be some margin for error ... or nothing get done ... or there would be leaks everywhere. Would be interested to her what the pros have to say on this point.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I always wonder about pex fittings with minor nicks or scrapes on the barbs. If I buy individual/separately packaged fittings from a big box store they are perfect. When I go to a supply house, fittings are stored bins. It is almost impossible to find a fitting that is in "Perfect" condition. Given pros do not have the time I do to look through the bins and find the best looking fittings, there must be some margin for error ... or nothing get done ... or there would be leaks everywhere. Would be interested to her what the pros have to say on this point.

Not a pro but I'm going to speculate a bit.

I suspect a couple of minor defects in the barbs wouldn't be an issue with crimp type PEX, but on expansion PEX (which I believe makes a better connection than crimp all things being equal), I would insist on perfect barbs.

Again, speculation.

John

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Not a pro but I'm going to speculate a bit.

I suspect a couple of minor defects in the barbs wouldn't be an issue with crimp type PEX, but on expansion PEX (which I believe makes a better connection than crimp all things being equal), I would insist on perfect barbs.

Again, speculation.

John
I agree ... that is why I buy 90% of my fittings at the big box stores. However, every now and then there is something they do not carry (in this 1/2' 90 in cc to PEX). In these situations, I try to buy the best of what is at the supply house.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sealing surface on tapered threaded fittings are made by the first two threads. The rest is designed for torque and strength. Imperfections in the back teeth may cause the joint to bind up and not come apart later.. more so on steel threads than soft brass threads. You can use a file to smooth out the imperfections if they're larger or the peaks are misshapen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks