Hi-Rise Soil Stack & Venting of lowest floor

Discussion in 'IPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by bimplumbing, Feb 27, 2021.

1. bimplumbing

bimplumbing New Member

Hi Everyone. First time caller, long time listener! I've searched and haven't found a thread that answered this question: Bldg dept. is prohibiting us from connecting the lowest bathroom's local vent to the vent stack on that level, instead they need us to connect to the local vent or vent stack 6" above the flood level rim of the fixture on the level above. They just vaguely reference section 905 and I believe the closest would be IPC 905.5 (Height above fixtures) but it still seems it doesn't apply here. Where is this violation exactly in IPC, are you all familiar with this? Thanks for your time.

upload_2021-2-27_9-51-35.png
    upload_2021-2-27_10-6-57.png

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

How I've always done this.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I don't understand your drawing. Does this "vent stack" carry waste? Assuming the dashed line means no waste, then I agree with your assessment, and the connection at the red circle should be perfectly fine.

https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf is a handy document. It supports your interpretation by saying
    Section 905.5 allows individual vents to merge with each other, as long as the connection is made at least 6 inches above the flood-level rim of the highest fixture served.​

5. bimplumbing

bimplumbing New Member

Thanks, I think I have this pdf, if its the IPC doc. I'll download it now and check it, appreciated. Correct, the dashed line is a dedicated vent stack required since there are more than 4 branches to this soil stack. No waste in this vent stack. I really think the reviewer is confused on this one.
    (edit) just checked the doc, yes I have this pdf. They also released the 2021 version, haven't checked what's different https://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/20-18927_GR_2021_Plumbing_Venting_Brochure.pdf

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. bimplumbing

bimplumbing New Member

Thanks.