Help with Soaking Tub-Shower for Elder

Users who are viewing this thread

AnnL

Reaction score
The small house I'm moving to is unfinished, including only one very small bathroom. The bathroom has a 72" x 42" Aker alcove jetted tub (never finished, never used - set in mortar with copper plumbing done, greenboard around it) and a shower added. Apron was purchased but is unattractive and not usable because about 1" at each end of tub is set into the walls.

I'm 75 and would like a soaking depth tub to help me deal with widespread chronic pain, but smaller, more in keeping with the size of the room. The current 9" water depth I have is not enough. And I must be able to combine it with a shower.

Would you please suggest an alcove tub with deep water depth (minimum 15", more preferable), easily combined with a shower, contemporary in style? I have researched diligently but am overwhelmed. I'm thinking that with all your experience you must have come across a situation like mine or have an idea what would work. Hopefully, you may have specific models to suggest.

Maybe I'm being impractical to look at the deepest soaking tubs (I'd use grab bars for getting in and out - I use them now to get out)? One example is the American Standard Evolution, but sitting in a 60 x 32" at a showroom, it felt short (I'm 5'7") though usable. Going to the 72" means a 36" width, which I don't really need. I also tried the Archer, but don't like the built in bump for lumbar support and the water depth may not be enough. Went to nearest city (small) - could not find other possibilities from research, e.g, Kohler Bancroft, AS Cambridge, Maayke (like the clean lines, plain apron).

Would it be best not to use a drop in? I've been reading on this site about workarounds being necessary for use with a shower, and I live in a very rural area, so am unsure of plumbing talent used by GC. Plus I assume this would add to the expense. Also, I need to consider the climb over the outer edge of the tub too.

On a limited to moderate budget, is fiberglass reinforced acrylic best? The local lumberyard steered me to fiberglass, but what I've read advises otherwise.

And what kind of surround? It seems a one piece tub-shower units do not have the deeper water depth, if I could even get one in a 36" doorway.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Ann PS Yikes, I just read a question here about drain being okay in changing tub size. Is this going to be a problem for me?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
With the specific requirements you list, and the physical restrictions of the location, I would suggest strongly you get at least 3 estimates from plumbing contractors.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
rex-tub-20.jpg

This one has a hand shower. Not made for stand-up showering though. You walk in, close the door and then fill up the tub.
It has a fast drain for it. It's four feet long so if you can get it past the door, it's doable.

AnnL

Reaction score
With the specific requirements you list, and the physical restrictions of the location, I would suggest strongly you get at least 3 estimates from plumbing contractors.

Do you mean in regard to a tub recommendation or the drain question or the installation or drain? I will have a general contractor - does that rule out my getting 3 estimates? I live in a very rural area - difficult to know who is knowledgeable.

I guess I should not get a drop-in tub and will have to give up on the deepest soaking tubs in light of aging, but I sure want more than the 9" water depth I now have.

AnnL

Reaction score
rex-tub-20.jpg

This one has a hand shower. Not made for stand-up showering though. You walk in, close the door and then fill up the tub.
It has a fast drain for it. It's four feet long so if you can get it past the door, it's doable.

Thank you.

I really want to be able to lie down, not sit - I get pain in neck, arms, entire back, legs/feet. Any other suggestions? I guess I should avoid a drop-in and will have to give up on the deepest water depths due to aging. I noticed you posted about the Archer being a good tub - any issues with that lumbar bumpout when submersing upper body or with water pooling and dripping on the edges as reviewers online say? I will definitely have grab bars.

Will the drain need to be moved in decreasing the tub size?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks