Help! Toilet flushes

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshua Eng

Reaction score
Hi I currently have two DXV seagram toilets in my newly renovated apartments. Unfortunately I've been rather disappointed with them especially since they claim a map score of 1000. I am use to toilets where you just have to push it a little and the water pressure creates an enormous flush. However on these toilets I have to press the lever completely down and hold it for a half a second to even get a decent flush. My question is:Are all 1.28 gallon toilets like this where you basically have to hold the lever down for a second to get a full albeit not strong flush?

Are toto tornado flushes any better? I tried them in store but they appeared to behave the same way where if I gave it half a push it didn't start a strong flush. does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1.28 gallons may not look like a lot when you're just looking at water. Because they are moving to a 3" flush valve on many of these, there is a lot of water moving without seeming like it. For example, we would drop a penny in the bowl, and then flush the toilet. The penny would disappear before the flush seemed to happen. There is a lot of water from the siphon jet moving before the rim wash starts.

dxv-fitzgerald-01.jpg

DXV Fitzgerald

Joshua Eng

Reaction score
Hi Terry, I understand it may not look like a lot but my problem is sometimes the paper and all of the waste doesnt go down the drain! That can't be a good flush if some of it comes back.

Any thoughts on the toto legato? Is that flush going to be better than the dxv seagram?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like you've had pressure assisted toilets previously. On any gravity flush toilet, you must push the handle down fully, then, typically, you can release it to get the designed water flow. Now, some are designed better than others. As Terry said, holding the handle down, keeping the flapper valve open longer will use more water. It may help, it may not. Nearly every gravity flush toilet today has more water in the tank than they flush out...the extra height helps with the pressure, and, if designed right, isn't needed otherwise.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I am use to toilets where you just have to push it a little and the water pressure creates an enormous flush.

You are misunderstanding how gravity toilets work. A "strong" flush with lots of rushing water and drama in the bowl doesn't do anything whatsoever. The water running into the bowl doesn't PUSH the stuff out. Instead, adding water to the bowl, along with a little shove from the siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl, creates a siphon in the trapway that SUCKS the water and waste from the bowl, followed by the familiar gurgle (the breaking of the siphon) when the water and waste are evacuated from the bowl.

The best 1.28 gallon toilets have no drama. You push the lever and release. It adds a little water (a lot less than the 5-gallon monsters you apparently are used to), and the siphon starts and sucks what's in the bowl out. On the rare occasion that you need a little more water to float the waste out, you can hold the handle down a little longer, but on most flushes it isn't even remotely-necessary.

Highly-refined trapway design wasn't important when you could use five gallons to effectuate the flush. Now, it's critical.

Toto has a patented trapway that sucks better than most, which is why the Original Drake toilet was such a huge success, along with the Original Ultramax. Most people couldn't believe that so little water with so little "power" could accomplish so much -- because they didn't understand how toilets work. Other manufacturers have to some extent caught up in the trapway design, but many still haven't.

toilet-cut-out-diagram.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks