Help - Galvanized drain pipes/vent pipe in 2 story home is rusted, broken, leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They've apparantly changed things around...in their docs, they say they make them in 1/32" increments, but there are some 'generic' fit sizes. Best bet is to measure carefully, and call them to find out what should fit. CI is generically made in 'standard' and 'extra heavy' sizes, and you may have the heavy size trying to seal with a standard fitting. Hard to tell for sure without being there. If it wasn't so rusted, you might be able to see the lettering on the pipe, but it's almost for sure gone with rust now.

Mnalep

Reaction score
Jim, I called Fernco as you suggested.

The nice lady there told me that the donut that accepts the 2" PVC comes in 2 dimensions. A 22U that is 2.83" OD, and a 22UX-205 that is 2.98" OD. She thinks HD only sells the 2.83" as the 2.98 is for much older systems (as mine is). So I need to verify the one I got is a 22U, and if so - then have the HD order the other one for me.

What confuses me though is from my 1st measure, I would swear that the ID of the cast iron pipe was around 3.25" ?? But I was measuring the inner top lip of the hub (see pic above). Also, I thought the top lip of the donut I bought was real close to 3.25 OD also? Although it tapers, so maybe that is the size at the bottom of the donut?

But the Frenco lady said the next size up from the 2.98" OD is a 3.98" OD - way too big.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you hit a plumbing supply house real quick before the weekend gets in session they should have the X-Heavy version.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I was remodeling some old (1950's, well, not that old) stuff at my mother's house, I had a 4" fitting I was trying to fit a donut into. The plumbing supply had two - a 'normal' one and a 'heavy duty (or larger)' one...the big one rattled around in the hub. It was a major pain, I ended up cutting out the fitting and replacing a section with pvc after tearing up some plaster ceiling...much more work than I wanted. I tried using the plastic equivalent of the lead with oakum, but had no room to deal with things on the low end next to the ceiling below.

Mnalep

Reaction score
Redwood,

Well, going to have to wait till Monday now to get that Fernco donut 22UX-205.

I called 2 places yesterday before they closed, and neither had it. Called a few more plumbing supplies today, and they were closed.

Home Depot said they would try to special order it - but can't get the SKU activated in order to get it from the Fernco comapny - without someone in corporate activating it, or some such nonesense. They will try again Monday.

Fernco said they would not sell direct to me. Interestingly, the Mission brand has the same part number 22UX-205.

Have you seen this Ty-Seal? http://www.tylerpipe.com/submittals/soilpipe/ty-seal.pdf

I inquired on the rooter tool at HD, they want $32 for 4 hours. Not too bad, but I was expecting it to be less. I looked at it when I tried to specail order the Fernco donut, and even the smaller one they have is heavy. It's on wheels, but I am going to need someone to help me get it in and out of the trunk for sure. Maybe I'll see if there's another tool rental around that has one the is a bit less weight. I figure I'll wait till I get the ring, then snake the drain and put it the PVC back in all at the same time - next week.

Jim,

The smaller donut is somewhat snug, so I figure the one that is 1/10" larger OD should fit real tight. I hope that is the one I need. I really don't want to take out that hub.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mission and Ty-Seal are the same thing just another brand!
Any of those that are available to you that fit... Use Em!

As far as the Drain Cleaning Machine... You really do want one that has a 1/2" cable... If you use a smaller cable it will not have the strength needed to clean that line good, and, at best it will clear the clog but not to the full dia. of the pipe. At worst the smaller cable will kink up into a knot while in the line and get stuck. This will cost you a plumber to get the cable out and the cost of a new cable for the machine charged by the rental outfit. $35 is a big savings over what I charge to snake a line!

You don't have to tell me how heavy a drain machine is... I do it for a living!

Mnalep

Reaction score
Redwood,

I was looking at the pic of that donut here:

http://www.fernco.com/docs/WaterworksDonuts.pdf

In the picture from Fernco catalog, it looks like the upper lip is above, and sitting on, the the top of the hub.

I pounded mine in such that the lip is inside the hub. It got me wondering if I have installed wrong? Maybe if it is in too far, I've somehow disorting the seal? Or maybe the fact that I can pound it in indicates that it is too small - as we have been guessing all along.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's Definitly too small...
When they are the right size they go together like a Gorrilla %#*!@&$ a Gopher!:eek:

Mnalep

Reaction score
Had an interesting surprise today. Went down in the basement to look at that pipe/donut/iron hub, and things looked dry!

I went upstairs and ran the water into the kitchen sink and down the drain, for 5 to 10 minutes, and there was no leaking around the rubber donut!

Could it be that using the sink for a few days caused some blockage to clear up? (Maybe some lead shavings I left behind in the pipe?)

I'm thinking that I'll keep an eye on it for a few more days, and if it seems to be functioning ok, I'll just leave it as it is.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks