Help Disconnecting old kitchen faucet's Quick Connect

Users who are viewing this thread

xemi

Reaction score
I am replacing a 10 year old kitchen faucet (unknown which brand / model). I can not seem to figure out to disconnect the quick connect fitting. Typically, I've seen where you press up and squeeze the plastic rings together and you pull down, but this is different. It seems to have some sort of tabs/button. It can freely rotate (like most quick connects do), but I can't pull it off. On the other side of the two tabs, I've tried pressing in the "button", which seems to have widen the tabs, but it still doesn't pull off.

Anyone seen this before? What is this called (is this specific to a particular brand)? Most importantly, how do I get it off?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
For stubborn connectors, I bring in the recip saw (with a metal blade) and just cut the main stem.
1-2-3 and the faucet is out.

xemi

Reaction score
Thanks for teh answers.. I pressed the button (hard) and tried to pull (hard). Did not budge. When I pressed the button I did see the tabs move a little.

In regards to recip saw, would you saw it from the bottom or top? The bottom doesn't have much room since it's next to the sink and wall (maybe about 4-5" of clearance.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cutting over the counter top most likely will damage the counter top. Therefore, if you are keeping the counter top, then you will have to cut from under the sink.
Yes, it's tight, but the greatness of a recip saw is that it fits in tight places and it doesn't move - only the blade moves. Also, you don't have to cut the entire stem, you can cut about half, then just bend the stem back and forth till it snaps.
I don't think I have to mention that you cut between the retaining nut and the bottom of the counter top.
Wear eye and nose protection when you cut.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you find a saw that'll fit up in there, please let me know what it is; I'd like to purchase one. Those two white thingies sticking out the right side are the ends of a C-shaped clip which is snapped into a notch in the protrusion which comes down out of the faucet. If you push these ends back into the connector, you should be able to pull the pipe right off. Then you can deal with that nut just above it. That'll be phase two.

Reach4

Reaction score
Push button and pull hard
Which part is the button-- on the left of the photo?

I don't think I have to mention that you cut between the retaining nut and the bottom of the counter top.
Actually you did. I was thinking just above that connector.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Push the ends of the C clip, maybe separately. The butt end of the C should protrude out the left side when you do this.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, there's a slot in the left side you can use to pry it out. That C-clip needs to slide to the left, as depicted in the photo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks