Having Trouble Venting Bathroom Renovation

Users who are viewing this thread

boilerpilot

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. Lots of great info on these board; I have knocked out a couple renovation projects just searching other posts and deciphering some diagrams that are out there. That said, I've hit a wall with my latest project.

I am renovating a half bath/laundry room. The wash tub will be replaced with a single vanity, and the toilet will go back where it was (once the tile is set and a new flange is installed). There used to be a washer/dryer in the room, but I have relocated those to a different room to make room for a full-length shower. I set a fiberglass shower pan, but can't figure out how to properly drain/vent all the fixtures. The previous owners had a vent pipe horizontally (through the floor joists) that turned up and penetrated the ceiling/roof in the corner of the room. The pipe was exposed inside the room, so I removed the pipe to make room for the shower. Here's where I'm at now:

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

I need some pointers on how I can properly drain and vent this shower. I can't put a vertical vent next to the supply lines, as the floor joists is in the way below to drill the hole. Where I have the "Vent Here" tag on the last picture corresponds to the floor joist bay in the second picture where the supply lines come through the floor. Is there any way I can make this work? Thanks in advance for any help; I appreciate it!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm having a hard time seeing what you have there.
The lav needs to be vented within 42"
The shower needs to be vented within 60"
The toilet needs to be vented within 72", but most of the time it's more like 12"
Vents can tie together at 42" above the floor that they serve.
You may be better off cutting some of what you have there and starting with a fresh idea.

boilerpilot

Reaction score
The lav drains directly into the main sewer stack (approx. 3' away). The sink is directly over the main sewer stack; neither one is currently vented. Am I going to have to tear out all of the existing plumbing to get these fixtures vented?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks