Having trouble in new house with hand shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Awalt

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for letting me join, I too am having trouble getting the hand shower in our bathroom to turn on! I don't see any type of diverter. This is a home we just moved into. It's a Hansgrohe, I can't see a model number, but I included pictures here. It seems to me the hand shower itself, near the incoming tube, and no water comes out - so it must be on the main shower head or the on off lever. I am perplexed. Can anyone help? Thanks!

IMG_8836.jpegIMG_8839.jpegIMG_8838.jpegIMG_8837.jpeg

JerryR

Reaction score
Don,

Welcome to the forum.

I’m not familiar with this BUT there seems to be a knob that may be a diverter which I circled in attached picture.

jerryr-16.jpg

Don Awalt

Reaction score
IMG_8840.jpeg

Thanks for your reply @JerryR ! I looked closely at that too, the end screws off, it also screws off at the red arrow in the picture below. As you can see, I took it off, and even turned on the water, and it still ran water through the main shower head.

IMG_8842.jpeg IMG_8841.jpeg IMG_8836.jpeg

Don Awalt

Reaction score
Have you pushed the diverter in? That is how you normally divert to the other shower head.

I have tried, I pushed pretty hard - I didn't want to break something. If that's the diverter I can try again! Maybe a soft hammer hit?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might need to repair or replace the diverter. And then there is the question as to whether it was plumbed correctly in the wall.

Don Awalt

Reaction score
Sounds like I should have our plumber look at it then. I was hoping it was something easy. Thanks for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With age, the seals on that diverter shaft can get stiff. If you can dig up the instruction manual for it, you might figure out how to remove it, and all it might take is some silicone plumber's grease and it could work like new again. If you don't have soft water, it could be stiff because of mineral deposits, and if you push through that, breaking them up, it might work just fine as is.

Don Awalt

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I looked online to see if I can find a match, I know it was installed right around 2010 when the house was renovated. I don't see any model number on it unfortunately, and I didn't see any pictures that matched it.

Don Awalt

Reaction score
I just wanted to post back, I took a hammer, and with a heavy cloth over the tip of the diverter shaft, I gave it a few taps, and voila! It's working great now, water redirects to main shower head, or hand shower. Thanks so much for everyone's replies and help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks