Ground collapse/sinkhole around well casing

Users who are viewing this thread

jbrukardt

Reaction score
Managed to get the original well company to bring a pump truck out. About 50% price reduction. 900 dollars for the whole fill.

Reach4

Reaction score
Glad you got an equitable solution.

I was surprised that the bore hole would be that much larger than the casing. I have never seen a well dug.

PVC casing for the well... that seems, not good
Pitless adapter way too shallow (I can reach down and grab it with my hand), I live in maryland, so the frost line is fairly shallow, but still.

If the top of the pitless is 30 inches below ground, that would be plenty, if I read correctly. If your casing is 11 inches out of the ground, that would take some unusually long arms to reach it within the casing. Given your big tunnel, you may be sticking your arm through that to reach the pitless. If the pitless is is less than 30 inches down, it may still be OK, but that would probably depend on your county to define the frost line for this purpose for your area. The point of the pitless is to keep the water below the freezing point. If it were close, it seems to me that you could mound something up around the casing, or even cover the casing with an artificial rock. That would add some insulation. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fake+rock It would not help with statutory requirements.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I was just using "dug" in an imprecise way-- like saying post hole digger when I mean post hole drill. :)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If your casing is 11 inches out of the ground, that would take some unusually long arms to reach it within the casing...

I don't get it. My casing sticks out 2 feet and my pitless is 8 feet down. I don't need long arms. I have a 10 foot pipe with a Tee on top that I use. It screws into the top of the pitless.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't get it. My casing sticks out 2 feet and my pitless is 8 feet down. I don't need long arms. I have a 10 foot pipe with a Tee on top that I use. It screws into the top of the pitless.

You cannot reach down and grab a your pitless adapter with your hand. In post #23 I quoted from the first post of this forum: "My main concerns are as follows: ... Pitless adapter way too shallow (I can reach down and grab it with my hand), I live in Maryland, so the frost line is fairly shallow, but still. ....". The concerns about big gap around the casing expressed there has been dealt with nicely. I was discussing the depth of the pitless.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have to assume the OP was grabbing the outer portion of the pitless through the sinkhole, not the inside of the casing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks