Garbage disposal plumbing. Done wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Emily

Reaction score
Hi!
We had a guy come and do some work on our house, including installing a garbage disposal (badger 1/2 hp). All looked great until I was washing dishes, flipped the switch, and water came through the other side of the sink, pretty strongly.

We don't want to have the guy come back to fix it because we weren't happy with his work. I'm pretty handy and think I can handle it on my own. I haven't done a lot of plumbing though, so please take pity and use layman's terms for me!

done-wrong-emily.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For starters, on the end away from the disposer, he installed what's called a "baffle tee".
But.............upside down. So anytime you use the disposer, it's going to divert water upward.

Next, you has two p-traps when you only need one.
The p-trap should be directly under the second bowl. You will need to pipe over from the wall for that to happen.
Remove all of the accordian piping. Any hardware store will carry normal straight looking pipes. Use a saw to cut the sections to the correct size.

sink_dw.jpg

Emily

Reaction score
For starters, on the end away from the disposer, he installed what's called a "baffle tee".
But.............upside down. So anytime you use the disposer, it's going to divert water upward.

Next, you has two p-traps when you only need one.
The p-trap should be directly under the second bowl. You will need to pipe over from the wall for that to happen.
Remove all of the accordian piping. Any hardware store will carry normal straight looking pipes. Use a saw to cut the sections to the correct size.

sink_dw.jpg
Thank you! So helpful. Can you clarify which piece is the baffle tee? And I just need to flip it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I don't know if Terry is looking at a different picture than I am, because your photo does NOT show any "P" trap, just part of one on its side. Where did you get this "plumber", because I am not sure how he even got all that mess to stay together once the disposer was turned on. You also have to check the "joint" in the horizontal piece to make sure he glued it together. I have to wonder WHAT the drains looked like BEFORE he installed the disposer.

Emily

Reaction score
I don't know if Terry is looking at a different picture than I am, because your photo does NOT show any "P" trap, just part of one on its side. Where did you get this "plumber", because I am not sure how he even got all that mess to stay together once the disposer was turned on. You also have to check the "joint" in the horizontal piece to make sure he glued it together. I have to wonder WHAT the drains looked like BEFORE he installed the disposer.

Don't worry, he is never coming into our house again! It was a waste of money to pay him to do any work since I'm going to go behind him and fix it all. I see your point about the P trap, and I will be fixing that along with the other problems. Fingers crossed I can get it all put back together with no leaks.

Just out of curiosity, what's the problem with having two P traps?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With 2 "P" traps the sink will either NOT drain, or will drain very slowly, at least at first, and then MIGHT start draining faster but there is no way to tell until you try it.

oldanbo

Reaction score
I have a septic and wonder, shouldn't the D/W drain into the disposal. I'm probly confused a little chemo brain here.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have a septic and wonder, shouldn't the D/W drain into the disposal. I'm probly confused a little chemo brain here.

They say you shouldn't have a disposer with septic, but people do. Just add some Bio-Clean every so often.
In all of these pictures above, the dishwasher is draining into the disposer.

Chemo? How are you doing on that?

disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

disposer-piping-09.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I don't know of ANY homes in this area, septic or not, that does not have a disposer, few are Disposals, however, and if you tried to take them away the housewives would rise up in rebellion.

oldanbo

Reaction score
They say you shouldn't have a disposer with septic, but people do. Just add some Bio-Clean every so often.
In all of these pictures above, the dishwasher is draining into the disposer.

Chemo? How are you doing on that?
Thanks for that info, Terry. I think the doc is moving me to a bi-monthly infusion schedule. Should know in about three weeks. And thank you for asking.
Dan

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture, Terry! Had to re-plumb due to larger diameter of new garbage disposal. I copied that image, rather than what was there. Works great,and have easy access for cleanouts down the road.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks