Flapper replaced, still ghost flushes occasionally

Users who are viewing this thread

Howwit

Reaction score
My old flapper was definitely not forming a tight seal, so I got it replaced. I've put a new flapper on the toilet (a Toto 3-inch), but occasionally when I flush it still won't form a tight seal so it'll leak. If I flush it again it usually fixes itself and seals properly.

This only happens 30% of the time so is there anything I could be doing to make the flapper seal properly all the time? Maybe the flapper chain is not at the right length or I need to put a weight on the flapper or any other suggestions?

Thanks for all of your help on this!

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a photo in the tank after the water has settled?

Show the flapper, chain, end of rod.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
One thing you can try, back off on the water shut off valve to allow a slower fill. If you have a lot of water pressure there could be enough turbulence going on at the bottom of the tank and the water is causing the flapper to move around and not seat at the right position. May take a few days to know if it was the cause.
Be sure that the drain tube is clean where the flapper rest on. Rub your finger along the edge that it is smooth and clean.

Howwit

Reaction score
Here's a few photos of the flapper and chain. The drain tube appears to be clear and clean. Do I have everything at the right length?

Attachments

• IMG_3934.JPG
    IMG_3934.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_3932.JPG
    IMG_3932.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 589

Howwit

Reaction score
One thing you can try, back off on the water shut off valve to allow a slower fill. If you have a lot of water pressure there could be enough turbulence going on at the bottom of the tank and the water is causing the flapper to move around and not seat at the right position. May take a few days to know if it was the cause.
Be sure that the drain tube is clean where the flapper rest on. Rub your finger along the edge that it is smooth and clean.

Interesting. I do notice that when I push the flush lever quickly and then release, the chances of the flapper becoming loose increase. If I hold onto the flush lever a second longer, the chances lower. But if I hold onto TOO long, then the flapper becomes loose again

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
There is too much extra chain and in the picture you can see that it is right on the edge of the flapper perhaps preventing it from fully closing. The chain to the flapper is too short. The handle is a loose fitting contraption and each time the handle is used it moves a little preventing the flapper from fully closing Excess chain only needs to about an 1-2 inches. Added one or two links to the chain to the flapper.

These kind of things can drive you nuts. Just this week I tossed out a Briggs toilet doing a bathroom remodel. No matter what I did, every once in a while the flapper would get hung up. Once I didn't hear the water running until the next day. It was a lot of water that went down the drain. The amazing part was my wife didn't hear the water running either and her hearing is about 100 times better than mine.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like your flush rod is so long that it could reach the overflow. Is that an aftermarket flush lever?

I think you might improve things by bending the rod to make the lift more straight-up instead of pulling the flapper away from the wall.

Yes, as WorthFlorida says, make sure there is not a piece of chain that can sit under the flapper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks