Fixing an incorrect placement for Hansgrohe tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

JT-NaN

Reaction score
I am in the last steps of my bathroom remodel project involving Hansgrohe fixtures. It turns out the plumber used a 1/2" Female NPT drop ear elbow instead of a 3/4" one for the tub spout. The Hansgrohe spouts all have 3/4" Male and 1/2" Female NPT fittings. The drop ear elbow is only 1/2" from the finished tile surface. Thus, any coupling would stick the spout too far out of the wall. I was wondering if anyone had just general opinion of what you would do in this situation.

My options are really:
1) Switch to a different spout (still a non-diverter) that is a slip fitting, such as this one from Kohler. It is not as nice as the Hansgrohe one
or
2) Remove a few 4"x4" tiles and have the plumber fix it and put in the 3/4" drop ear elbow, and then deal with having to retile those few sections. I have Durock backboard and a water proofing membrane that would also have to be fixed. Also, the plumber indicated it would be really hard to solder the pipe that is up against blocking.

Any thoughts? I really like the plumber we hired but this mistake bums me out as we bought the fixture a long time ago and the return policy has since expired. Ultimately I take responsibility as I just didn't check this in detail before the walls were covered up. Any advice on how to handle this?

Reach4

Reaction score
153__hmu00041_tif.jpg

If you just shove the spout, no nipple, toward the drop ear elbow, is there a gap?

JT-NaN

Reaction score
Yes, if the spout is next to the drop ear elbow, no nipple, the gap between the tile and the back of the plate is significant enough. There is maybe 3/8-1/2".

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m putting in a Grohe shower retro system that has a part that might be able to be used as a spacer. It’s 3 1/2” dia, 1 1/8” hole, 1/2” thick, heavy chrome plated brass. It’s the donut shaped piece in figure 6. Try calling Grohe to see if you could buy one even though there’s no part number. In the past their customer service was very good. If this is something you decide to use and is available, wrap the 3/4” pipe with Teflon tape to keep the spacer centered and use plumbers putty underneath spacer, since it’s hallow, to keep water out. Or silicone.

https://cdn.cloud.grohe.com/tpi/100...223.1512459419.1563914144-83155335.1563718177

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks