Filter for sprinkler system

Users who are viewing this thread

Cyahr

Reaction score
I have the problem of my sprinkler heads getting clogged up with a reddish/orange sediment that looks like sand. I’m assuming it’s iron/rust. My question is, I have a old pool filter on the side of my house. The exact model is the Hayward C900. Would that work for filtering the water going through the sprinklers to solve my issue? It’s obnoxious to have to clean out the sprinkler head filters twice a week. Not too familiar with water flow in sprinkler systems so I’m really not sure if that’s a viable option.
Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I assume you have a well? A pool filter will work since it can handle maybe 50 gallons a minute but if there is that much sediment, it also will clog up sooner than later depending on how often you irrigate. Those filters are not cheap. On line about $50, at Pinch A Penny maybe $70-$80 but they can be removed and hosed down to remove the crud. For pools they'll last a few years but for your problem it would be a guess. If your concrete shows rust stains from the irrigation, then it is iron but with no staining it is probably sand.

If there is a spigot at the pump, fill a 5 gallon white plastic bucket and check if there is sediment. If yes it is from the well.
Are you drawing from a lake? Is your pump plastic or is it cast iron?

Cyahr

Reaction score
I assume you have a well? A pool filter will work since it can handle maybe 50 gallons a minute but if there is that much sediment, it also will clog up sooner than later depending on how often you irrigate. Those filters are not cheap. On line about $50, at Pinch A Penny maybe $70-$80 but they can be removed and hosed down to remove the crud. For pools they'll last a few years but for your problem it would be a guess. If your concrete shows rust stains from the irrigation, then it is iron but with no staining it is probably sand.

If there is a spigot at the pump, fill a 5 gallon white plastic bucket and check if there is sediment. If yes it is from the well.
Are you drawing from a lake? Is your pump plastic or is it cast iron?
Yes i have a well. It’s definitely iron. I had a water filter put on the house but the wouldn’t put that in the system before the sprinklers. It’s drawing from my well. No lakes are that close to the property. My only concern is the pressure of the sprinklers as I know it is typically high pressure. Attached is a picture of what gets clogged in the sprinkler head filter.

Attachments

• 82B2733D-6BFA-4201-B926-DE0C11EDC555.jpeg
    82B2733D-6BFA-4201-B926-DE0C11EDC555.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 9EB2E5CE-AA3F-4C08-A811-91F7A558A1C9.jpeg
    9EB2E5CE-AA3F-4C08-A811-91F7A558A1C9.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 130

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is it a submersible pump or a jet pump? How long have you had the problem? Any idea of the depth of the well? To to be clear does the pump and well provides domestic water for the home? Might want to look into spin down filters. Maybe easier to clean and maintain.

Cyahr

Reaction score
I’m not sure about the style of pump. I’ve had this problem since I put in the sprinkler system about a year and a half ago. I believe it’s a 100 foot deep well. It does provide water for the house. I’ve looked at spin down filters before but had mixed feelings about them base on reviews. I’m real familiar with the pool filter I’m speaking of seems I’ve had it forever so I’m not worried about the maintenance of it. Just not sure if it would crack under the pressure of the system
Is it a submersible pump or a jet pump? How long have you had the problem? Any idea of the depth of the well? To to be clear does the pump and well provides domestic water for the home? Might want to look into spin down filters. Maybe easier to clean and maintain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks