Electric water heater Water W

Users who are viewing this thread

Cali2917

Reaction score
I am a contractor in Kansas City. Installed an electric water heater and a gas water heater in a house on city water. I replaced 2 gas 50 gal tanks that were hooked together in series. I tried to hook the new ones up with the exact same configuration and it never worked correctly. So I separated them and now the gas one does half the house and the electric the other half of the house. Gas works fine but on the electric side of the house if you are taking a shower the hot water is fine til another faucet is opened or toilet flushed and it seems to kill the cold water mix in the shower and scald you. Pressure in the house is great. No problems elsewhere with these issues on the gas side of the house. I did also install a water softener at the same time. I am at a loss with what could be causing this issue. Never seen it...can't figure why the water heater would have anything to do with the problem. All 3/4" lines in the house. Please help...hoping someone has some advice for something I can try or look into

Reach4

Reaction score
No problems elsewhere with these issues on the gas side of the house. I did also install a water softener at the same time. I am at a loss with what could be causing this issue.
I presume each water heater and cold to bathrooms is fed with water from the softener.

Look for a partially-closed valve in the cold path.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there a hot water recirculation system in the home? If so, you need a functioning check valve so that you don't draw from both ends of the WH (the hot outlet, and the bottom of the WH where most of the recirculation systems return).

Fitter30

Reaction score
Do you have a amp probe to check out the electric water heater? Top element heats first then when thermostat is satisfied lower element gets power till its satisfied. Series heaters don't give you 100 gallons of hot water, first heater ends up with most of the lime. In parallel piped reverse return even flow through between both. Take some pics of heaters and piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks