DWV Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Costas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I live in British Columbia, Canada and I'm in the process of relocating my clothes washer from my first floor to the second floor. It'll be pretty much right above where it is now within one joist bay. I believe I know the answer to this but I wanted to see if someone with more knowledge than me can confirm for me. The washing machine in this DWV system will be the highest point in the branch and the only fixture on the second floor that ties into the vent (see attached drawing). On the first floor the kitchen sink and in the crawlspace a sump pump tie into this vent as well. My question is can my new vent run in the floor joist below where the old vent is and then over to the exterior wall where it ties into the vertical vent or do I will I need to go into the attic and somehow get over to the existing vent about 13' over? I believe that 2.5.6.4 doesn't permit me to do this?

2.5.6.4. Connection of Vents above Fixtures Served
1) Except for a wet vent, every vent pipe shall extend above the flood level rim of every fixture that it serves before being connected to another vent pipe.

I suppose the other alternative is a AAV but if I could use an existing vent I would prefer that.

Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Washer Proposed DrainVent.jpg
    Washer Proposed DrainVent.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 465

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The vent for the washer is at the same level as the trap arm for the p-trap. It can go horizontal at six inches above the flood level, (six inches above the standpipe)
That sounds to me like into the attic if there is no open wall there. There you can tie it into an existing vent, or through the roof on it's own.

washer_rough_1.jpg

The revent here is above the washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks