Drive point or foot valve

Users who are viewing this thread

dmathieu

Reaction score
I have a bored hole in my backyard that is about 5' deep and the water is about 1' from the top, so I obviously have water. Should I do a drive point well and if so how far down should I go since I already see water.

Should I use a foot value at this depth?

Thanks for any advise you can provide!
Dave

Speedbump

Reaction score
This is not a well. It is a hole in the ground that slowly filled with water. A Well Point will not work at that depth because of the air it will draw and at that depth the water will not get to the Point fast enough to make enough water for your Bird to drink.

bob...

dmathieu

Reaction score
OK, that make sense.

I was planning on doing a drive point past the 5' depth of the hole, but I wasn't sure how far down I should go. I have wet land in my backyard so I don't think I will have to go to far, right?

Thanks again for you help.
Dave

Speedbump

Reaction score
Wetlands do not constitute a place to make a Well. You have to go deep enough to get into clean sand/gravel. Clay, dirt and mixed soil do not make water. There may be water there, but you can't get enough of it to the Screen quick enough to make it work as a Well.

Use a Pitcher Pump to test pump the pipe every five feet as you knock it into the ground.

bob...

dmathieu

Reaction score
OK, just another question if you don't mind.

What am I looking for when I test it with a pitcher pump, just if I can get water?

Thanks
Dave

Speedbump

Reaction score
Water if any and how much. If the Pitcher Pumps handle kicks back but your getting some water, you usually will be getting close to the depth you need. Knock in another 5 feet and see if it gets better. When the Handle quits kicking back and just lets you get a good flow of water your there.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks