drilling hole in SS kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ddurand

Reaction score
I am trying to drill a 1 3/8" hole in a SS kitchen sink for a hot water dispenser. I first thought I should get a punch and punch the hole rather than drilling one but could not find a punch at Home Depot or any plumbing supply place. So I bought a Rigid bi-metal hole saw. Does anyone do this or do they always buy a sink with the correct number of holes to start. None of the other existing holes will work. So far the pilot drill attached to the hole saw acts like its super dull. I tried first to drill a small pilot hole with 2 different drills and they both acted like they were dull also. I have a little oil around the hole.

Ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A punch makes a nicer hole, but they are expensive and I've not seen them at HD. You still need a pilot hole for them. A decent hole saw should work, though. The cheaper ones might not handle it. You might need to buy a good HSS bit to make the pilot hole. Sometimes a piece of tape helps or use a good center punch (that is sometimes harder because it might be a little springy).

ddurand

Reaction score
drilling and drilling

I did center punch it and the bit is not wandering. It just drilled a dimple into the sink and does not seem to want to go much further.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
SS is very hard to drill with any bit you would find at a hardware store. Much easier to get a Greenlee punch. Then, you only need lile a 1/4" pilot, and that can be drilled in two steps.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stainless steel tends to work-harden when you try to drill it. You need more pressure on a good drill, and probably lower speed. Most hand drills have so little pressure (you) and go so fast that they tend to burn.

It may have been work-hardened in the forming process. If it is 18-8 stainless (many are), you can anneal it with a torch carefully applied at the point where you are drilling. Heat it up locally (not the big hole), until you see a bit of red if possible, and let it air-cool. Then try a new drill. Try to keep some coolant (water or oil) on it when drilling.

Try to use really heavy force and slow speed. Heat is what destroys the drill bit.

Now imagine what is going to happen when you try to do the big hole. You might need to get a hole cutter with an abrasive edge.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
messing up a sink

Be careful no tto screw up that sink

I have butchered up one or two over the years....

Get a fine punch and try to make a good hole into

the SS..... Then take a series of smaller drill bits and make

a very fine hole first and make it bigger and bigger....

Use WD 40 to keep from burning up the bit...

the rigid hole saw will not touch that stuff...

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
91616.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91616

$9.99 at Harbor Freight right now. I use the center one, drill all the way to the largest step, then take this

BIT9910.JPG

This isn't the exact one I use....but close to it and is a $30 bit that is thicker and when installed in a high speed electric drill, this will round out the rest of the size needed to equate to 1-3/8" opening.

The step drill goes through lightning fast, the carbide shaping bit takes 5 minutes to round out the opening large enough for a soap dispenser or Air Gap.

If you can find a larger step drill possibly in the electrical department in the big box stores....plan on spending around $80 for that extra 5 minutes you spend shaping out to the size you need.

I've been doing it this way for years.....even though I have a brand new of punches I bought from harbor freight.......just can't find them and I'm afraid the use of them will warp the deck I'm drilling through. :mad:
91201.gif

$19.99 above @ hb. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91201

I use a couple drops of dish detergent in the spot I mark as I drill for the step drill AND when I'm shaping the hole to the size I need.

Last edited:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
a 13/8 hole saw will do it no problem but you need to use a variable speed drill and drill slowly so the metal doesn't heat up. Help keep it cool by spraying it with WD40 or equivalent oil. I use my cordless drill and it easily drills the hole. Just use a new hole saw bit and drill the pilot first without the cup on it, then install the cup (hole) saw bit and the pilot will keep the drill from wandering.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I have drilled plenty of SS sinks with good quality holesaws...
Blu-mol ones work the best for me... (I have used carbide tipped ones as well, but they are $$$)
Slow RPM's and plenty of pressure is the ticket with SS holes...
Lots of coolant/lubricant as well...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

"Plumbing is so easy, a caveman can do it!"

So you are the person DIY'ers get their inspiration from. And some of their work shows that they also use cavemen tools and materials to do it.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
heh, everyone seems to like my new sig. I should put that on my work truck for a month and see how many calls I get, wear one of those caveman outfits in my truck with big ole wooden club attached to the racks of my trucks.

As stupid as it sounds, it would probably end me up in a news story or create an unbelievable amount of work. People love slapstick....that's why all tv commercials went to it.

A hand injury is keeping me out of the work force for a day. I'm working up in your neck of woods tomorrow Cass, above norwood lateral on a stack replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks