Draining 10 Gallons per minute

Users who are viewing this thread

Timster

Reaction score
Group,

I'm doing a remodel which includes a new master bath. My wife picked out a spa type shower that pumps upward of 10 gallons per minute. Does anyone know what size drain pipe I will need? Standard shower drain in these parts is 2", but I'm worried that it won't be able to keep up.

In my application the shower will drain from the p trap, travel ~2" then turn 90 degrees down where it will travel approximately 9' down vertically before it has to make 3 more 90 degree turns before it connects with the 4" main sewer line.

-Tim

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
An intermittent flow of 8 to 15 GPM is rated as 2 DFU, and a 2" drain is OK for that. However, I think that a 3" drain, or two, 2" drains, would be advisable just in terms of not ever being ankle deep in the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks