Drain problem for freestanding tub install

Users who are viewing this thread

jordanbailey13

Reaction score
I'm installing a freestanding tub in my basement (on a concrete slab). The tub comes with an ABS expansion joint in order to drop the tub down and connect to the trap and also has clearance for an above floor rough in.

In the spot that I want the bathtub to be, I can't use a traditional waste and overflow setup. I was hoping that I would be able to use a W&O with a direct drain but there is another large pipe directly below the strainer that prevents me from placing the trap in the correct place. That being said, I am wondering if it would be acceptable to have a short horizontal (or slightly downward sloped) run of 4-6" past my strainer before elbowing down to the removable portion of the expansion joint. See below:

Tub_1.jpg

I'd still have functional vertical access to the trap if I were to lift the tub out of its surround and separate the two parts of the expansion joint.

Tub_joint disconnected.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would work just fine. If you have the space for that. You might roll the foot drain into a wye on its side with the overflow entering one of the branches to save on space.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks