Drain piping for Washing Machine in Garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Allen

Reaction score
Hi, I am a novice DIY plumber trying to install the drain pipe for a washing machine in my garage. The garage happens to be 2 stories with an existing upstairs restroom and small game room. I used flex pipes and sharkbites to connect the water sources from above the hot water heater located on the ground flood of the garage to a hot and cold outlets. Now the final thing I need to do is connect the drain for the washing machine. The 3" PVC main drain pipe is visible in the attached picture in the wall with a thick structural beam beside it. I am unable to cut the drain pipe and instal a Tee or Wye or sanitary tee since the PVC has no give up and or down. I am considering a saddle T or Wye followed up by a trap and vertical segment of pipe like in the second picture that I found on the internet. I obviously want to prevent waste from going into the washing machine drain line. I cant find a 3" saddle sanitary or wye tee online or in the local plumbing shops. Any suggestions on the best way to complete this? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3CD3B833-F315-4593-B197-4D74EEDE9ABD.jpeg
    3CD3B833-F315-4593-B197-4D74EEDE9ABD.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 90D90752-71BB-4915-AEAB-78F6650661EB.jpeg
    90D90752-71BB-4915-AEAB-78F6650661EB.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 210

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Shield couplings allow you to insert pipe without lifting the pipe above. The metal shielding can slide up and the rubber coupling can be folded back and then back again. You need 1/4" of a gap for this to work. If you have a 7" section, you would cut out a section 7-1/4" so that you could fit it in with the two couplings.

You will also need a vent before it enters the main stack to prevent siphoning of the trap.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Eric Allen

Reaction score
Shield couplings allow you to insert pipe without lifting the pipe above. The metal shielding can slide up and the rubber coupling can be folded back and then back again. You need 1/4" of a gap for this to work. If you have a 7" section, you would cut out a section 7-1/4" so that you could fit it in with the two couplings.

You will also need a vent before it enters the main stack to prevent siphoning of the trap.

mission_bandseal.jpg
Thanks for the reply. So you recommend this shield coupling with a 3" sanitary tee?

The main vertical drain line already has a vent on the roof of the garage. Is this going to require additional venting? Sorry this is my first time taking on this type of project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks