Do I need a mortar bed for this tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alecstar

Reaction score
Hello, This is an enameled steel tub with a huge Styrofoam bottom. It measures 13-1/2W by 33L. The thickness starts at 4" and tapers to 3-1/2". All the YouTube video's I've watched have been with tubs than have a much thinner and smaller support. Most had grid like bottoms so the mortar could grab onto something. This Styrofoam bottom pretty much covers the entire bottom. And because it's so thick, I would be piling mortar quite high. Do I even need a mortar bed for a tub with such a big support piece? If not, should I put construction adhesive under the Styrofoam? Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_2034 (2).JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A mortar bed does two things:
- supports the tub
- allows you to level it

If your floor is level, it might work without any mortar. Any movement may end up with squeaks, though, so I'd see what the installation instructions call for. I might place a sheet of plastic down as a slip sheet underneath.

Enameled steel tubs tend to be prone to dents and paint chipping, so be very careful about what you use in the shower as dropping anything hard on it can become a problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
"mortar bed" is a bad term IMO. Many might think of a bed as something flat, and a flat bed of mortar is unlikely to be right.

That said, I don't know what would be appropriate under the Styrofoam.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks