Mortar Bed Thickness

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc

Reaction score
How thick is too thick for a mortar bed under a corner tub. We have about 4 inches to the base of the tub and 2 inches to the bottom of the metal supports. The manufacture requires a mortar bed. And I understand the ticker the mortar bed the more shrinkage of the mortar. I feel 4 inches is a lot but should be ok, and better than nothing.

20220718_201610.jpg
20220718_201637.jpg

There is only 1/2" space between the drain and the plywood floor. This is part of the reason the tub was installed at this height to allow room to install the drain, without having to cut up the plywood floor and a joist...
20220718_201650.jpg

Dohc

Reaction score
Re-Reading the install instructions (page attached) they suggest 2 to 4 inches. I guess this answers my question.

Attachments

• Tub Install Mortar Instructions.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 174

Reach4

Reaction score
The word "bed" is troubling. What you have in mind is probably not what you want to do.

Instead, use piles, with space to let the mortar squish.

Also, try this Google search:
"non shrinking" mortar

Dohc

Reaction score
The word "bed" is troubling. What you have in mind is probably not what you want to do.

Instead, use piles, with space to let the mortar squish.

Also, try this Google search:
"non shrinking" mortar
Your correct, "bed" was not the word I should have used. The intent is to place "piles" that will squish out.

2022-07-19 16_23_18-Comfortflo Receiving and Instatllation Information.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's all about the mix of the mortar. What tends to work here is sometimes referred to dry pack or sand mix. This is a very lean mix of cement in about a 4-5:1 ratio of sand:cement mixed wet enough to hold together if you squeeze it (think making a snowball), but not dripping wet.

You can put a sheet of plastic flat on the floor, too. That will help prevent the plywood from sucking moisture out. The mortar needs to cure, and eventually, whatever excess water is in the mix will evaporate.

Dohc

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your feedback. Here are pictures of the finished install.

PXL_20220728_210958190.jpgPXL_20220728_211019701.jpgPXL_20220728_211057315.jpg

Again, thankyou for your input.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pretty sure that every tub that has air jets on the bottom, instructions say not to set them in mortar.

Dohc

Reaction score
Tuttles, I thought the same thing, but reading the instructions and calling the tub mfg, they are very clear, even with air jets, to set in mortar. See above post with image direct from the air jet tub instructions, mortar AND 3 to 5 mil plastic required.

All and all I am happy with the install. Stepping in the tub is like stepping on a rock, and all the air jets work.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OH I saw the photos and they made me cringe!! But as long as the manufacture made the suggestion, then its on them. Especially with a consult.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks