Disposer drain. What are my options here

Users who are viewing this thread

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
We are replacing a dual sink to a single bowl and adding a garbage disposal. The drains are pretty high. I capped the drain on the left and was planning on using the drain on the right. It doesn't look like it's low enough, does it? There isn't a lot of room to cut anything to re do (mostly elbows). Do I have to cut the whole thing off at the bottom?

I am in eastern PA. See pics. As always, thanks to everyone who helps here.

Attachments

• IMG_20181012_131333996.jpg
    IMG_20181012_131333996.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20181012_131339755.jpg
    IMG_20181012_131339755.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20181012_131355767.jpg
    IMG_20181012_131355767.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 170

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That was never done right in the first place. Cut that out and use a santee for the trap arm, not a wye.
The wye fittings siphon the trap. It doesn't mean it didn't drain, but it also didn't prevent the traps from siphoning and allowing sewer gas into the home.

disposer-with-airgap.jpg

sink_dw.jpg

This is a double bowl drawing, but it does show the santee on the vertical to the p-trap with the vent going up. Your disposer will have the 90 bend down to the p-trap and will be skipping the second bowl.

Last edited:

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

If you were redoing this would you put a double sanitary tee in, and cap off the unused side? In case at some point down the road someone wants to put a double sink back in. If a double goes in, I'm sure I will need some elbows and it will raise the drain and I will be back to square one?

When you cut this type of stuff how close to the wye do you normally cut? I'd like to leave room for future repair, but wondering what the general rule is. If I cut close and there is some cement does it sand off pretty easy?

Thanks again for your help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumb it for a single bowl. Install a cleanout close to the floor with a santee above for the p-trap. If they want a double later, they can always use a disposal kit like in the drawing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks