Delta model 1600 scald guard shower valve repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard Lee

Reaction score
I have a Delta model 1600 scald guard valve. In the process of removing the bonnet nut the valve was bent which created a small leak in one of the copper to brass solder joints. Could there be a good way to repair it?

20180616_114738_crop_392x416.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj says he heats it up, removes it and then resolder. I like to toss them and install a new valve. There are some that have a wider wall plate that will give more room for getting your hands in there to work with. Moen has a nice setup for that. In the future, parts will be harder to get for those. and I can't tell you how many I'm seeing with the twisted copper like that.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/moen-tl2368ep-shower-remodel-trim.61164/

tl2368ep_repair_4.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you repair it, you have to replace the tubes. There are two versions, one with short straight tubes which are easier to duplicate and one with curved tubes which can be challenging to replicate.

Richard Lee

Reaction score
Thank you! Do you have any idea what type of solder is being used? It actually looks like some type of epoxy up close!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks