Cycle Stop Valve and carbon filter/water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Shakaworld

Reaction score
I looking into getting the Custom PK1A PSIDE-KICK Kit - 10 gallon

Valve setting: 70

I currently have a 62 gallon tank on a well with a 1hp pump with 1 inch piping - right now the pressure switch is reading 55 psi would getting the csv with a setting of 70 psi help with the pressure drop when going through the carbon filter and water softener or would a scala2 pressure pump right before it enters the house be a better solution for higher pressure (all equipment is outside) - if I put the softener an carbon filter in bypass I can see a noticeable difference in pressure and flow with the faucet in the pipe right before it goes into the house

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a CSV setting of 70 PSI and a 62 gallon tank, the pressure switch would need to be at 55/75. As long as your pump can build 75 PSI that is the way to go. You always lose about 10 PSI going through filters and softeners, so just set the CSV 10 PSI higher than normal. Jury is still out on the Scala pump as it is brand new. But I don't see it working any better or lasting any longer than the old MQ type pump, which had so many problems they finally took it off the market.

Shakaworld

Reaction score
With a CSV setting of 70 PSI and a 62 gallon tank, the pressure switch would need to be at 55/75. As long as your pump can build 75 PSI that is the way to go. You always lose about 10 PSI going through filters and softeners, so just set the CSV 10 PSI higher than normal. Jury is still out on the Scala pump as it is brand new. But I don't see it working any better or lasting any longer than the old MQ type pump, which had so many problems they finally took it off the market.

Thank you for the quick response - I would rather not use the Scala pump - and I probably would be replacing the 62 gallon tank with the 10 gallon tank that is an option for the sidekick. I'll have to pick up a water spigot gauge to test the actual psi coming from the pump - just trying to get in touch with the installer that put the well pump in years ago before I purchased the house to find out what pump is in the well to make sure that it is not one of the "dragging" type that I read about on this board- the motor control box says 1 hp so would the pump be matched at 1hp?
20170606_154546.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 62 gallon size tank holds about 15 gallons of water. You just have to get the CSV set correctly so it takes 2 minutes instead of 15 minutes to fill the tank after you shut off the faucets. The CSV will work with any size tank. But after they get use to the constant 55 PSI in the showers, most people realize the large tank is a hindrance. With 15 gallons in the tank and a 3 GPM shower running, the first 5 minutes of the shower you will see the pressure decrease from 60 to 40 before the tank is empty and the pump starts. Then you will quickly start seeing the strong 55 PSI constant, which will last for as long as you are in the shower.

You don't have to worry about what kind of pump you have. "Years ago" Franklin didn't even make pumps. It may have a Franklin motor but it will be a Goulds, Pentair, Jacuzzi, or some other brand of pump. The Pentair pumps also have the floating stack or "dragging impeller design", and have never had a problem with a CSV. Franklin bought out Jacuzzi pumps, which worked great with CSV's. But as usual, Franklin takes something that works really well, and changed the design so it won't last so long. Can you say "planned obsolescence". LOL

I doubt that the Franklin pumps will have anymore problems than the Pentair, which is the same kind of design. But Franklin WANTS you to think their pump will not work with a CSV, so you will buy one of their expensive and short lived VFD controllers instead. Can you say "increase corporate cash flow". LOL

I think it is funny that Franklins cooling flow chart shows their motors will work fine down to as little as 1.2 GPM, even at full service factor load, but now they claim you need at least 3 GPM to keep the pump cool. I guess they need to revise their cooling flow charts to match the pump ends instead. Saying Franklin pumps won't work with less than 3 GPM flow is actually saying you should get a different brand of pump that is made with more quality. I now recommend any brand of pump except Franklin.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Pressure drop across a filter always depends on the flow rate you are drawing and will drop over time as the filter clogs. I have to wonder why the carbon filter? Is there a taste issue or are you chlorinating the well?

Can you bypass the filter separately from the softener as a test to see which reduces the flow? You could put two filters in parallel to increase the flow rate.

Reach4

Reaction score
with the pressure drop when going through the carbon filter
I think you are talking about the big backwashing filter shown in the other thread.

When you do some changes, consider adding a boiler drain between the two units. That makes a good place to sample water and to mount a GHT pressure gauge to see what the pressure drops are at that midpoint.

Shakaworld

Reaction score
Cary - thanks for the info on the pumps wasn't sure on the 3 gpm and didn't want to add the CSV to the line if it was the bad designed pump. Well driller/pump installer coming out next week to see what pump actually is there from his sales information but based on your info I'll get things ordered and perhaps replace the 62 gallon tank since I don't know how old it is looks fairly new, how well it was maintained and with your system the 10 gallon can be mounted off the wall.
20170630_135737.jpg

LLigetfa - I can use the bypass valve on each of the units - I could see and feel a noticeable difference mainly with the water softener the pressure and water flow wasn't as bad with the water shield gold. The carbon unit I think was installed for the water smell slight sulfur smell but I was planning on installing a chlorine injection system with retention tank - ozone is a little pricey but is a thought. The resin tank I'm replacing currently it is a 10x54 with what looks like a Fleck 5600 non-digital valve I was thinking of going to a Fleck 7000SXT with a 13x54 tank since the old tank is showing UV damage and would like to get as much flow out of it as possible with 1 inch pipe coming in from the pump. Since I have to redo the pipping from where the CSV is going to be installed would there be any benefit in increasing the pipe size to the largest the 7000SXT can take and dropping it back done to 1 inch where it enters the house.
Fleck5600.jpg

Yes Reach4 this is the system from the other thread about the Watershield Gold carbon filter/sulfur block - I will install pressure gauges there are boiler drains installed right after the pressure tank and right before going into the house but I will add another one between the units
20170606_165757.jpg
20170604_185036.jpg
20170630_135805.jpg

Attachments

• 20170630_135810.jpg
    20170630_135810.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 288

Reach4

Reaction score
he resin tank I'm replacing currently it is a 10x54 with what looks like a Fleck 5600 non-digital valve I was thinking of going to a Fleck 7000SXT with a 13x54 tank since the old tank is showing UV damage and would like to get as much flow out of it as possible with 1 inch pipe coming in from the pump
The 7000SXT has been discontinued by the maker, although some may be still available. The Fleck 5810 SXT would be the newer one, which is not advertised directly.

I think was installed for the water smell slight sulfur smell but I was planning on installing a chlorine injection system with retention tank - ozone is a little pricey but is a thought
You can inject Hydrogen peroxide H2O2 just as you can inject a bleach solution. H2O2 is like ozone in water. H2O2 and chlorine bleach are fairly interchangable with the same equipment. The levels of chlorine are easier to measure I think. While chlorine bleach is cheaper, the amounts are not significant.

Click Inbox above.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score

Good thing about the MQ is that it's a super easy change out, but they are pricey as hell.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Good thing about the MQ is that it's a super easy change out, but they are pricey as hell.
Well like I said, they don't make the MQ anymore. So it is either use the Scala one size fits all, which is probably not even as dependable as the MQ, or go back to the dependable old style jet pumps like the JP series.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks