Cracks forming next to plastic Uponor fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I'm seeing the exact same thing here in Newport Beach on homes about 10 years old. Most of these homes have whole house filter that should be removing chlorine & chloromines

Are these homes using the red and blue pipes?

John

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
thanks Jeff!

I’ll check that out!

-bow
If I were to guess, and this is not from lots of product knowledge, my guess is that during the manufacturing process, whatever happened, the crosslinking process was not performed completely or properly. The crosslinking is what creates the memory. If it's not to spec, they would not be as strong, nor would they collapse as tight to create the seal with the fitting...it the worst case, the links would break, and a crack would form.

One of the main differences between the three types is the amount an method of creating the crosslinking in the tubing. Type-A has the most crosslinking, and as a result, is the only one that can work with the expansion tool. The others don't have as much flexibility, or as much memory. Seems that the tubing is acting like a type -B or -C, not as type -A that it should be.
To follow up further, Uponor has now admitted via class action lawsuit in Colorado only that the color-adding via heat process is what causes the failures.https://www.classaction.org/media/matzdorf-et-al-v-uponor-inc-et-al.pdf
So that means that they are keenly aware of the amount of re-pipe and wall repairs.
They fully paid for entire large home to be re-piped and wall repairs in the case I was involved in.
Now alerting customers where we used colored Uponor PEX.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
To follow up further, Uponor has now admitted via class action lawsuit in Colorado only that the color-adding via heat process is what causes the failures.https://www.classaction.org/media/matzdorf-et-al-v-uponor-inc-et-al.pdf

I admit I kind of skimmed that .pdf (I can't believe the hundred different ways they have to say the same thing over and over), but it sounds like the plaintiffs are the ones saying that Uponor admitted the problem because of Uponor's decision to remove the red and blue PEX from the market, but I didn't see anything from Uponor outright admitting the product is defective unless I just flat out missed it.

I'm truly surprised how early the problems are manifesting - the plaintiff's house was built in 2017! I would think Uponor would have done a bit of aging testing. The micro cracks should have been visible through a microscope fairly early after it was made if not immediately.

Too bad, great product otherwise.

Thanks for the update.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So that means that they are keenly aware of the amount of re-pipe and wall repairs.
They fully paid for entire large home to be re-piped and wall repairs in the case I was involved in.
Now alerting customers where we used colored Uponor PEX.
I wonder if this problem will get so bad that uponor will attempt to offer picking up tab on homes that haven't failed yet but have red or blue color PEX to avoid the water damage and lawsuits .
I read part of a story about the Colorado class action not looking good for uponnor but I don't see where they have done wrong but appears to be defects. I'm glad to see they paid to replumb your clients home. (hopefully copper)

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
I admit I kind of skimmed that .pdf (I can't believe the hundred different ways they have to say the same thing over and over), but it sounds like the plaintiffs are the ones saying that Uponor admitted the problem because of Uponor's decision to remove the red and blue PEX from the market, but I didn't see anything from Uponor outright admitting the product is defective unless I just flat out missed it.

I'm truly surprised how early the problems are manifesting - the plaintiff's house was built in 2017! I would think Uponor would have done a bit of aging testing. The micro cracks should have been visible through a microscope fairly early after it was made if not immediately.

Too bad, great product otherwise.

Thanks for the update.

John
I am in GA and when I got re-pipe quotes most quoted PEX-B and when I asked why most mentioned seeing PEX-A failures in some newer homes and one mentioned that PEX-A and recirc is a big no-no.

encinoman

Reaction score
Hello, I am re-opening this thread. I have had 3 leaks exactly like the ones pictured above in this thread. Uponor RED Aquapex with cracks right next to the white plastic fitting.

All of mine have been in close proximity to the water heater. Each leak has occurred about a 12-18 months apart. The house was built in 2016.

What sort of recourse do we have with this problem? I know we can report the issue to Uponor warranty claims, but it's very unsettling to have a house full of hundreds of these connectors knowing they can fail at any moment.

Interested to hear how others in this thread have faired since the last replies on here.

Thanks!

Breplum

Reaction score
We are seeing this problem constantly.
Uponor will have to be contacted (start with your local rep or go directly to the corporate cust serv) They will pay to have your home repiped. That is the case with most all iterations of the colored pipe from them. You must cut out and save sections of the failures showing the batch numbers.
Lots of homes affected, yet they have not publicly issued a notice.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
We are seeing this problem constantly.
Uponor will have to be contacted (start with your local rep or go directly to the corporate cust serv) They will pay to have your home repiped. That is the case with most all iterations of the colored pipe from them. You must cut out and save sections of the failures showing the batch numbers.
Lots of homes affected, yet they have not publicly issued a notice.

A couple of questions if you know the answers. Is it just colored pipe Uponor is repiping? Uponor will only pay for a repipe if it's done with Uponor I assume, or will they accept the customer's wish to go with a different system?

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not assume that on a whole repipe they will either pick up the full cost or that they will only pay for Uponor. though it wouldnt suprise me either.
My Dad bought a new home in Florida arrond 1990 and about 5 years in a major lawsuit hit a lumber company pertaining to siding crumbling falling apart , He was offered manufactured wood, Vinyl , or Metal his choice. and it included product made by other companies
It could be That Uponor has settled with some people and placed a talk clause to agreement because no one is coming back with much info? or its just selfishness they got taken care of and now they could care less about sharing info. But they come on here Crying about it then we never hear back . So since there is only a little whinning on here and little follow up Its hard to figure t? they might have been well taken care of?
For Encino Man I think you have recource to sue Uponor or Builder Maybe even the Plumbing company. Of cource the path easier is to contact uponor. otherwise a Lawyer specializing in construction defects. personaly I avoid lawyers

DKP.TEX

Reaction score
I'm on my 4th leak! Built my house in 2012, builder used the red and blue Uponor Aquapex lines. Since September 2020 I've had 4 tiny spray/drip leaks. I've started a warranty claim but they want my sample cracked pipes and I have to agree they might destroy it during inspection. Any advice? I live in North Texas and it's been in my hot water lines so far.
IMG_3461 - Copy.jpg

DKP.TEX

Reaction score
I know this post was from last year, but I am experiencing the exact same issue. House completely remodeled in 2014 and my PEX started getting pin point cracks, on the hot, at the plastic connectors.

I’ve had to replace 8 holes now… YES, 8.

Happens right at fitting!!! I keep chasing it. Basically a new leak starts every few months!

JUST fixed one tonight!
This looks exactly like mine! House was built in 2012 in Texas. I'm on my 4th leak on the red lines. It's crazy... as soon as I get my walls repaired it happens again! If you have made any progress with Uponor, please share. Did you send them the samples?

Breplum

Reaction score
You need to contact Uponor and make a claim (which they need sample of batch numbers). They should pay for complete repipe and all repairs along with it.

DKP.TEX

Reaction score
You need to contact Uponor and make a claim (which they need sample of batch numbers). They should pay for complete repipe and all repairs along with it.
Thank you, I've started one so far. They want all but I don't have the first few leaks because thought it was just a fluke. After several leaks I started keeping them. The money is adding up fixing the leaks and damage from them since they drip/spray and takes forever to notice coming from the attic until its down the walls and seeping through sheetrock or standing on wet carpet.

monkeyman9

Reaction score
Is it normal for the rings to yellow? Just saw this thread because I've been repiping with rolls of red and blue uponor pex-A I have. I needed to buy another roll of 3/4 blue and couldn't find it. I have rolls of red 1/2, 3/4 and blue 1/2 all from 2016 still. All seem ok. But I think I'll chuck them now.

I noticed that the crimp rings are turning yellow though. Some cold and some hot on the 1/2 in the bathroom that I can see and not in the wall. Those are just small yellow dots though. By my water heater the 1in hot side is turning pretty yellow and cold side is still white (pics attached).

For what it's worth my water has no chlorine in it. All installed 2016 and later.

Im kinda suspect of the rings now...

Attachments

• 20230905_202435.jpg
    20230905_202435.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230905_202358~2.jpg
    20230905_202358~2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 48

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it normal for the rings to yellow? Just saw this thread because I've been repiping with rolls of red and blue uponor pex-A I have. I needed to buy another roll of 3/4 blue and couldn't find it. I have rolls of red 1/2, 3/4 and blue 1/2 all from 2016 still. All seem ok. But I think I'll chuck them now.

I noticed that the crimp rings are turning yellow though. Some cold and some hot on the 1/2 in the bathroom that I can see and not in the wall. Those are just small yellow dots though. By my water heater the 1in hot side is turning pretty yellow and cold side is still white (pics attached).

For what it's worth my water has no chlorine in it. All installed 2016 and later.

Yellow fine, cracks bad

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I havent followed that closely I wonder if the material can be exchanged for replacement Ive never heard any of it was actually recalled it may have been pulled from sale which I think is slightly differant but ask a supplier if they do offer free replacement of unused material or replacement of used material that hasent failed yet Id like to hear though

Breplum

Reaction score

Rings are fine. Contact your supplier for exchange or at worst, the local Uponor rep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks