Connelly vs Drake II

Users who are viewing this thread

Kyle Huwer

Reaction score
I've read plenty of reviews about the Drake II. I went to the Toto website ans poked around and of course was enthused about the various options. In a nut shell I thought the Tornado 3D would be better than the Tornado flush system.

So I ordered the Connelly from a local big-box. Then I looked at reviews for the Connelly and wasn't impressed. Seems like the super low water level is a problem. One report is that it is more of a aesthetic toilet than a functional toilet. Being that it uses the Tornado system (plus 3D) it seems like it would be better, but maybe not.

So I ordered the Drake II as a backup since I saw no real negative reviews of that.

So my burning question is - what is the consensus on the Connelly?

Follow up question is where I can find water area for each toilet as this seems to be a problem for the Connelly (maybe all low flow toilets?)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer the Drake II over the Connelly.
I''ve had an TOTO Aquia in my home, and they flush well, but the small water spot is more of a European thing. A small water spot in the bowl means more dry surface, and more cleaning. The same thing for the new dual flush Drake CST746 series. Small water spot.

I do like the Drake II, Vespin II, Ultramax II, Carlyle II.

Kyle Huwer

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Not looking to constantly clean a bowl. Is there a table for water spot dimensions?

Also, thoughts on the bidets that pre-mist? Seems like they would help with small surface areas.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have premist on the Ultramax II and not on the Vespin II.
I do like the premist, though all of the II series work pretty well it seems.

Kyle Huwer

Reaction score
Just as a follow-up... the "water spot" area can be found on the Toto spec sheets.

Connelly: 5-1/2" x 4-3/16"
Drake II: 7-1/8" x 9-1/8"​

So the Connelly is ~20" of water surface area versus ~63". To me that is significant. Seems like the Connelly might be more suitable for some sort of entry-way/powder room toilet that is sparingly used than the main toilet. Or if you do get it, get it with the bidet that does pre-mist to help with the small water spot.

FYI: Ultramax II is also 7-1/8" x 9-1/8" which seems correct since I've seen Terry say the Drake II and UltraMax II are basically the same toilet.

Thanks Terry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks