Connecting ABS drain pipes - California code

Users who are viewing this thread

Leo_N

Reaction score
Is gluing an ABS pipe to an elbow at an angle (not squared) permitted by California code? Please see the picture.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0995.JPG
    IMG_0995.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 403

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks horrible.
Looks like they needed a street 45 and not the hub x hub. Is that pipe even in the fitting?

abs-45-15-terrylove-1.jpg

Hub x hub.
They also make it with a street end.

Last edited:

Leo_N

Reaction score
That looks horrible.
Looks like they needed a street 45 and not the hub x hub. Is that pipe even in the fitting?

This is for a shower being converted to bathtub. The problem was that the tub's drain was sitting right next to the waste pipe going down (center on the first picture and on the right on the second pic), so there was no place for a p-trap. All this plumbing is between 7 in joists. I suggested using a 1.5 in p-trap, wrapping it around the waste pipe and bringing it down and connecting to the waste pipe from the left side in the wall. The plumber agreed that this was the only solution, but he didn't do what I planned to do. I had a wye sitting on the waste pipe low enough so that I could sweep from the drain's combo to the left using two 45 elbows connected as an S, and then bring it back to that wye from the left using another 45. He cut out my wye, used a 3 x 3 x 2 wye that I had left and placed it higher. When he completed the p-trap and vent above, he didn't have much space left vertically, so it looks like he bent all joints above the 2 x 1.5 reducer to make it fit. In your opinion, can it be left as is since it's low pressure, or should it be redone properly, which would require cutting out and replacing quite a big chunk of the waste"tree"?
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_0995.JPG