ABS vs. PVC for New Construction Rough In

Users who are viewing this thread

Schibig87

Reaction score
Hello,
I am tackling the my rough in plumbing in a single story 1100 sq ft. 1 bed, 1 bath, laundry & kitchen ADU here in Southwest Washington and will have a few questions as I go.
I have been researching for some time on codes etc , however , draw a blank on what type of DWV pipe to use?
I see both PVC and ABS used here.
Are there significant differences Or is it preference?
I am reaching out for my local code as well.
Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pvc is stronger.

It mostly depends on what you can get locally. Most places use one or the other more frequently. I can't imagine your local hardware store having the isles packed with fittings of both types.

Reach4

Reaction score
I looked at the HD Longview store site. They seemed to have lots of ABS in stock, and for PVC, they say they have those in stock in Vancouver WA.

So based on that, I would use ABS. I infer that is the norm in your area.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,
I am tackling the my rough in plumbing in a single story 1100 sq ft. 1 bed, 1 bath, laundry & kitchen ADU here in Southwest Washington and will have a few questions as I go.
I have been researching for some time on codes etc , however , draw a blank on what type of DWV pipe to use?
I see both PVC and ABS used here.
Are there significant differences Or is it preference?
I am reaching out for my local code as well.
Thanks

My go-to is PVC. We don't see much ABS in my area anymore.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
West coast is pretty much the black stuff , if I said 99.9 percent of my drainage in plastic was abs Id be underexagerating. based on that Im very comfortable working abs but have no opinion that either superior and wouldnt be suprised to hear other wise that many might belive pvc superb I think pvc is getting more use today in my area but I still see very little

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks