How to connect 1 1/2" PP Sink Drain to 2" ABS Waste Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

sevendouble0

Reaction score
I'm adding cabinetry and a sink to a utility room that was originally a laundry area in our house. Sink is a small SS sink with 1 1/2" PP drain pipe and P-Trap, the waste pipe coming out of the wall is 2" ABS. Is there such thing as a 1.5" x 2" SJ Trap Adapter? If so, I can't find one. Or do I need a 1.5x1.5 SJ ABS Hub trap adapter and a 1.5x2 ABS reducer? The 2" ABS connects to an enclosed sump pump (Liberty model 404L) on the other side of a concrete wall so I can't modify anything "in the wall" and space is limited on the other side as the pump is against the wall in a tight spot. Sump Pump has a standpipe and a vent coming out the top. The sink is small and will be used for hand washing only, nothing else will share that drain (laundry has been relocated) I'm in Southern California.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are looking for a trap adapter that glues onto a 2 inch pipe, and lets you hook up to a 1.5 inch slip joint trap. A "hub" goes onto a pipe.

If instead you wanted to glue in to a socket, you would want a "2 inch spigot" type trap adapter.

sevendouble0

Reaction score
I agree, a trap adapter that glues onto the 2 inch ABS pipe and allows me to hook up the 1.5 inch slip joint, trouble is I can’t find one, do they exist? The link you provided for HD is a 2” to 2”, and they have 1.5” to 1.5” but they don’t carry anything that goes 2” to 1.5”. I have to imagine many other people have run into this same scenario before?

I should specify the PP sink trap is the thin white pipe like this:
and the ABS drain pipe is 2" inside diameter.

Would I need 2 fittings in this case? a 1.5x1.5 adapter and a 2x1.5 reducer? If so, am I correct that I'd glue this as close to the wall as possible:
then glue a few inches of 1.5" ABS to that, then glue the reducer to the short segment of pipe:
then slip the trap arm into the adapter?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks